Space Marines ... Are they clean cut or battle worn???? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

View Poll Results: Are the Space Marines battleworn or clean and polished?
Weathered and battleworn 14 50.00%
Clean cut and polished 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Default Space Marines ... Are they clean cut or battle worn????

Hi Guys,

I'm painting my son's Ultramarines when I was talking to my brother and we started discussing whether their armour and vehicles would be battle worn, or would they take too much pride in their gear to let them be weathered?
Yes, weathering looks awesome, but is it true to who they are??
...... Or am I reading way to much into this and just looking for a reason not to continue the copious amount of painting on my boy's army

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 01:13 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

To be honest adding wethering to the armour and vehicles would add to the fluff of your army, "look they've just deployed from the battlefields of..." etc. plus i think looks better
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 01:14 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Clean cut is for wusses like the smurfzzzz. LOL, I'm kidding, it depends on your personal opinion really. Personally, I go for more battle worn, otherwise it appears like your army always run away from the fighting for fear of getting their pristine armour dirty.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 01:25 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

it also offers more modelling options, trophy weapons scorch marks on tanks, power armour etc
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 02:25 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

personally i prefer clean, but it would depend on the same things as any army, how long they have been there and the availability of things to clean and repair the kit they have, if they have just made land fall and have been in space twiddeling there thumbs they would be polished if they have been fighting a war in the desert for weeks then they would be dirty, but personally i like it clean and crisp, but i like eldar so i guess thats how i roll.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 02:30 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

I go airsofting regularly during the weekends. If you are not a poofter, clean will last for about 5 minutes. Heck, even if you are not nosediving into the mud, you'll never look clean for long.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 02:35 PM

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally I prefer battle worn (for one thing it's a good excuse if like me, you're cack-handed when it comes to painting), but as it's your son's army, I'd ask him.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 03:30 PM
Relaxed Gamer

Azwaz's Flag is: Wales

I like the look of battleworn more, despite the fact that both of my armies I make look reletively untouched. My Tyranids would just be making more new bioweaponry if the old was damaged and my I just wanted my Thousand Sons to look different to the generic Chaos (I took the spikes off the ebay-ed Tanks too). When I made a Ork looted carnifex for my friends birthday though, that was really fun, making all the battle damage. Scraping the sides, putting bullet holes in, etc. That was cool, and I think he's going to make it look a bit rusty too.

Weathering and/or battle damage does make things a lot more 'Fluffy', giving you that feeling that they are not just little painted models, but represent, the real nitty gritty action of the 40k universe. As you said though, you could end up biting off more than you can chew if you decide to give that effect to everthing, it may be worth only doing it to the vehicles.

I saw this online, you could try it out or just use it for insparation...

http://www.youtube.com/user/GirlPain.../1/04RMOchGAS8

Theres a few that come after that one and the rest of her tutorials are pretty cool too...

http://www.youtube.com/user/GirlPainting

Hope any of this helps!

I am also a contributor to this blog where I upload a lot of my other projects under the name Pandorasbitzbox

http://www.krakendoomcool.wordpress.com
@Krakendoomcool on twitter

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 10:27 PM

Anarkitty's Flag is: USA

It depends on what you want the story line to be. Between campaigns, Marines take impeccable care of their holy gear, so when first deployed they would shine like the furniture at my grandmother's house.
Later in the campaign, they would be work, grimy and dirty, and probably damaged and field-repaired. I feel either look is perfectly appropriate, and really a matter of preference. Just keep it consistent, unless you want one squad to look like they got lost on the way and just arrived, while the rest have been fighting for days.

Check out my Codex: Scions of Slaanesh (Grey Knights complete rewrite)
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?p=959181

And my Necromunda Escher gang project log (with lots of pictures)
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/....php?p=1007914

In our embrace of the pleasures of the flesh we feel the embrace of the Dark Prince
She asks nothing of us but to enjoy life, and in doing so we bring glory to Him
Give up your petty faiths and morals and join us in the bosom of the Goddess of Pleasure
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-11, 12:21 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I prefer the less than pristine look. Battle damage and weathering add character. It can also be an excuse for the less than exemplary level of my painting. I allways give my guys a heavy wash of devlan mud so they look suitably grimy. Take it to its extremes, i like the idea of marines surviving on a long and isolated campaign by recovering armor and weapons from battle field casualties, the occasional chaos shoulderpad or gauntlet with the insignia filed off. Mixed marks of armor pieces and weapons. Makes for a very characterful force.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.

Last edited by shaantitus; 06-28-11 at 05:33 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode