Help with DE Obsidian Rose vehicles painting needed - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
eae

Default Help with DE Obsidian Rose vehicles painting needed

Hi all,

I've been painting my Obisian Rose army recently and at the moment I'm considering painting its to vehicles. The color scheme for my Kabalites is here: https://heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86692 and the rest of my army is here: https://heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91620

When painting Kabalites, I've primed them white and then covered with a base color of ~ 1:1 mix of Mechrite Red and Chaos Black. And then I did highlights. Now when I'm thinking of vehicles, I'm not sure which primer to use - white one or black one. I don't want vehicles to look too light, they should look more like dark with the edges, and I am afraid that 1:1 red-black mix over white primer would be too light. On the other hand, will color be there if I prime it with plack first? Should I do wide red highlights after basing, to get wide blending effect, or should I just highlight the very edges like I did with troops' armor?

I'm confused with options, so an expert opinion would be really welcome Thanks in advance.

P.S. I re-link the images from posts mentioned above, please let me know if this is a wrong thing to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 04:25 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

If it's for large panels such as vehicles, you are going to have to aply several thin coats to get a good base color to begin with anyway. I doubt your primer will be that much of a factor. And edge highlighting should always be pretty fine.

You may want to consider a midstep along the mix to highlight that you didn't use on your infantry though. Big armorplates do require a different aproach somewhat to regular infantry (if you want smooth results that is). I have very little experience with these colors though, so that's not THAT much help. Maybe experiment first on a thin piece of plasticard with similar dimensions to the raider plates?

Remember that you can still work with multiple thin coats for highlighting for a smoother transition (if you feather them on) or with a final glaze that binds these colors together. I'd guess a brown-red type glaze looking at these colors.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
eae

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmir View Post
If it's for large panels such as vehicles, you are going to have to aply several thin coats to get a good base color to begin with anyway.
Actually, I've been thinking of using an airbrush to apply the base color and maybe the first layer of highlighting (I love what Gareth did with the Reavers and the Ravager). I suppose that would ease the task a bit?

Quote:
Maybe experiment first on a thin piece of plasticard with similar dimensions to the raider plates?
That's a very good idea, thank you very much for proposing this. I'll do that and see if I like the results. For some reason, I have not thought about it myself.

Quote:
Remember that you can still work with multiple thin coats for highlighting for a smoother transition (if you feather them on) or with a final glaze that binds these colors together. I'd guess a brown-red type glaze looking at these colors.
Oh, glazing is one of the techniques I have not tried yet, but I will. Sounds fun, thank you

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 06:26 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

If you have acces to an airbrush, ofcourse you should use it! :D

In case you have an airbrush, I'd use the white primer as well. You can always use darker paint mix on the centre of the plating fairly easy in case it turns out a little too light.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode