Skulltaker and bloodletter (pic heavy-ish) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
arumichic's Flag is: USA

Default Skulltaker and bloodletter (pic heavy-ish)

So, I'm almost finished with my Skulltaker and this is one of my finished bloodletters.
The Skulltaker's base needs to be finished up bit as he needs more support on the bottom of his right foot (where the little white nurgling's sitting for support at the moment). I put in an order for the metal skulls since I am too lazy to actually model them out of GS. If I don't like how they look, I'll make my own.

I also GS-ed my own lava base for him as you see in the picture, as you can see I need to do a bit of a touch up on it. I wonder if I should do anything else for it since I wanted the middle to look like it was flowing, but I don't know if it came out that way. Any suggestions would be appreciated, though I think I've looked at all the lava basing "tricks"/tutorials out there.

I need to think of a base to do for my bloodletters too, and I don't know whether I should make it a lava base or not. I don't think I would want to do that for all of my bloodletters.

But basically their flesh is blended with golden yellow and blood red and I put it on a black base so that the black would sort of show through, so it looked like they were from the warp and so that they would have kind of a "flicker" effect. Their swords are on fire and blended from white to red or in the case of Skulltaker, white to blue. These are my "table top" painting and I see a lot of mistakes now, since I've painted these a couple months back. Plus the zoom from the camera shows me the mistakes more too.

Anyways, hope you all like it and sorry for the little bits of dust on the models!~

P.S. I'll answer any questions as to what paints I used for different sections if people want to know...but I'll stop talking on here for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG4906 - Copy.JPG (189.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4908 - Copy.JPG (188.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4910 - Copy.JPG (209.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4913 - Copy.JPG (201.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4916 - Copy.JPG (149.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4904 - Copy.JPG (145.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4899 - Copy.JPG (149.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4901 - Copy.JPG (137.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4897 - Copy.JPG (128.2 KB, 4 views)

Looking for work....

Current project(s) with plog(s): None ATM
Upcoming project(s): Plague Hulk

Recently finished project(s): Warboss 2, Lord Hector Rex

Last edited by arumichic; 06-07-11 at 05:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 06:06 AM

This is looking pretty good. I like the flame effects. However, are the teeth supposed to be black? If so, highlight them a bit more, they just look like they're unpainted right now, though it is a bit blurry.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 06:15 AM

the skin and stuff lack a little defenition in my opinion. maybe a thin wash helps?

failing to plan is planning to fail

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Back in "Sexay"!!!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Jackal View Post
This is looking pretty good. I like the flame effects. However, are the teeth supposed to be black? If so, highlight them a bit more, they just look like they're unpainted right now, though it is a bit blurry.
Thanks. Yeah, the teeth I left black since I didn't want them to be red/orange/yellow-ish like the rest of the guys. I'll see if I can get back in there and make them look a little more defined though with highlights or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenee22 View Post
the skin and stuff lack a little defenition in my opinion. maybe a thin wash helps?
When you see them on the table top, the skin looks pretty good. I think the flash also kind of got rid of the ridges and natural shadows that light would give the bloodletter. I don't want to darken them down with a wash, so I didn't do that (even a thin layer) since that makes it look like every other paint job out there. Trust me under just regular light, you can see the ridges and such.

Looking for work....

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 10:09 AM

yanlou's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think i wash is needed only a very thin layer, having washes wont make it liek every paint job out there, it helps with adding shadow that the model wont naturally get, its the same with highlighting, models need it to become more alive, shade and light or both important so adding a wash will add to the model, you can also be selective where you add your wash aswell, so it doesnt need to be all over.

check out my log and my Huron Blackheart, i used Devlan Mud wash to help further smooth the transition from a light to a dark red.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...t=78385&page=9
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 11:36 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

simply superb i cant make any comments cause my painting is utter rubbish, but i must say that base is spectacular great job my man!!!!!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Back in "Sexay"!!!~

As I said in my defense, the flash makes it look washed out. Get it? Sorry, that was horrible... >.<
Maybe I'll see how a wash is on there, but I think the shadows are fine as it is without a flash. I'll see how I like it.

Looking for work....

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Back in "Sexay"!!!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmantis View Post
simply superb i cant make any comments cause my painting is utter rubbish, but i must say that base is spectacular great job my man!!!!!!!

Thanks!~ That base gave me a headache for like 2 days since I never thought it was "right". I still somehow think something's off about it.
>.< I really should refresh before I post... >.<
And I think you mean woman

P.S. Your painting isn't rubbish.

Looking for work....

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-11, 02:18 PM

I for one think that the use of Wash is highly overrated, I have to agree with the look of the Black parts looking "unpainted" but a simple 2 second highlight will fix that easy enough. but other than that both very nice models and extremely well done. Contest winning quality.

Also as basing is my Bane I am so completely impressed with the base here brilliant job and painted very nicely on its own.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-11, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Back in "Sexay"!!!~

@dressd2kill: Thank you! I agree that washes are a bit overrated, though at times I do love them. Going back and really looking at the black areas, yes I do agree that there needs to be highlights and such.
I'm also trying to get some decent and cheap water effects so that I can put a bit of slobber in the mouths and see how that looks. (I'm doing research and seeing if I can do anything better myself).

And thank you again about the base. I spent a couple of hours over a period of 3 days because it didn't seem right to me, but glad someone else thinks it's done well.

Looking for work....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode