Building the Stormraven - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Crimson Shadow's Flag is: USA

Default Building the Stormraven

Ok, I like several people, have gotten my hands on one "early." I'm curious what the people who have built their's so far have to say about it. My thoughts on the matter:
(Sorry no pics)

Good things:
1. Goes together fairly easily. Nothing that requires alot of holding and praying. (I'm looking at you swooping hawk wings)
2. I like the way the turret weapons look. Made it really hard to decide what to model it with. (went with the assault cannons)
3. I think that if you're adept with magnets (which I am not) you can probably make it pretty modular, with the upper turret, the side sponsons, and the hull mounted weapons.

Complaints:
1. The same complaint I have with eldar vehicles. With the clear canopies you can't assemble the model to a complete state before priming it. In other words the upper turret, the driver's compartment, and the front hull mounted weapon can't be assembled because of the canopies.
2. The turret on top has to be put in before the upper fin/air return piece can be glued on. edit: if you don't glue the weapons onto the turret, I believe it will fit even with the fin already glued on. Guess that's what i get for following GW's instructions.
3. The rear assault ramp has nothing to really hold it on. it's just held in place by friction
4. The side sponsons don't fit tightly enough to just be held in (like rear ramp), I was hoping to avoid having to glue them in, so I could have a more useful model.

All in all, I plan on getting several more. But it's just a pain that so much of it has to sit in pieces and be primed individually before assembly because of the way the canopy pieces fit.

Let me hear your thoughts!

Last edited by Crimson Shadow; 02-04-11 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 08:04 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Thanks for the post on this. I am planning on picking one or two of those up for my BA successor and was curious as to how the assembly was.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 08:09 PM

WinZip's Flag is: USA

Thanks for the insight this will help me with my decision to invest in a storm raven or not.

"Blood cries out to blood they say, so let us spill their blood so we can hear it all the clearer."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 08:19 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sorry Crimson but the priming when the model is assembled is not the norm, most model kits in the big wide world are never fully assembled then primed.

But you might want to invest in masking fluid or tape for the clear canopies if it causing you issues.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Crimson Shadow's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Sorry Crimson but the priming when the model is assembled is not the norm, most model kits in the big wide world are never fully assembled then primed.

But you might want to invest in masking fluid or tape for the clear canopies if it causing you issues.
I realize it's not the norm. but from an ease of assembly standpoint, the number of parts left unassembled due to the canopies, makes it a bit of an annoyance.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 11:19 PM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

sorry but this didnt change my desicion on getting the model, I still hate it

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-11, 01:02 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Likewise.

I'm scratchbuilding mine. It won't look like a pregnant guppy unlike the GW one.

Seconding bitsandkits' advice. Either invest in masking solution or give up on the priming after full assembly delusion.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode