Massive Necron Overhaul - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

C'Tan Chimera's Flag is: USA

Default Massive Necron Overhaul

Necrons were my first army and thus they have a special spot in my 40k soaked heart. It was a very slow process for me, having only been 11 or so at the time, I spent most of my time collecting. I just drybrushed them all silver. I realized how boring that was and got around to repainting them a few years later.

The result was this- taken somewhere between 2007-2008.

I guess I was trying to go for "Ancient decorated look ruined by time" feel, but let's face it- white, purple and gold just ain't Necron.

I'm going to fix that.

Originally I had decided to give them a ceramic look akin to wet earthenware clay and golems-mythological figures pretty similar to the Necrons. But as painting progressed, I realized I wanted to go back for a more worn, mechanical feel.

If you are familiar with Dead Space, you'll know what general look I'm going for here- rusted brown/red metallic covered in dried blood. A lot of unique, erratic silver weathering on each unit to break up the uniformed, monochromatic appearance. See here VVV

I actually have a handful already painted, but I don't have any photos of them just yet- but I will get them up soon.

I've also got what I think are some fairly unique looking Destroyer/Wraith Lord conversions. Let's just say it involves a lot of unexpected bits like Nids, Kroot, Tomb Kings and even *eventually* Blood Angels.

You'll get to see that too, so keep an eye out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 04:08 AM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

go for it! Ive been playing lots of deadspace 2 and I gotta say I love the gritty design of Isaacs armour.

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 06:52 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Good concept idea! Look forward to seeing some progress.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Alright, first photos are up!

From the more distant shots, you can't get a really good look at all the various weathering, but I got one or two close ups for you.

And then here is a comparison shot of the old *circa 07-08 models* and the new. Both versions have weathering going on, but of different sorts.

The older models were supposed to look like they had spent a good deal of time beneath a swamp, thus covered in mud and even some growth. I ditched that in favor of a rusted, peeling look.

I'm actually considering throwing in some hawk turquoise blots to make it look like oxidized copper has gathered across the surfaces.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 03:03 AM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

very excellent, I like their posing, what would be really cool is if you converted them all to have those slicer things that come out of Necromorphs backs.
which you could easily achieve from stealing some nid arms.

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 03:11 AM

Flayed 0ne's Flag is: USA

Icon

oi...i like the "new" color scheme, very well done...and those poses are FILTHY!...awesome job...earned you some rep!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flindo View Post
very excellent, I like their posing, what would be really cool is if you converted them all to have those slicer things that come out of Necromorphs backs.
which you could easily achieve from stealing some nid arms.
That's actually a fairly interesting idea- normally I'd associate such a thing more with Chaos *In fact I have a Possessed purposefully made to resemble a Necro* , but I could see such a thing working with Flayed Ones.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 03:40 AM
Searching for Vulkan

HorusReborn's Flag is: USA

I actually really like the posing and the colours chosen man... nice work!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 04:40 PM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Great work! its nice to see some crons that arent just painted silver, plus rep xD

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

SUDDENLY, A CONTRAST

I'm not going to show off my Nightbringer here, mainly because I can't take credit for him. Back when I was still barely into my preteens and only owning maybe a box of Warriors and a Wraith, I was attending a club session where another Necron player was there. Long story made really short, at the time his miniatures were the coolest I had ever seen and when I was looking at his Nightbringer *which was missing an arm* he gave it to me.

That gift was what really influenced me to go on and take 40k as a serious hobby. Once I thought I was good enough at painting *say, 1-2 years ago, heh* I got him a replacement arm and painted it. But I'll never repaint it out of respect for the former owner.

SO. I got a Deciever for Christmas from my brother, and as you can imagine I pounced right on it.

I never liked the Deceiver as golden. He just looked like a floating naked guy to me. So I fixed that here while making him contrast sharply against a primarily old, rusty force.

While for the most part his basic appearance was inspired by the Magician from House of the Dead (I always thought that's how the Deceiver would move around and fight, watching the Magician boss fights- Look him up if you're curious)

Building up from the visual style, I thought it would be cool to portray him as more energy then matter- while the green "flesh" was painted to try and resemble muscles, I also tried to make it look like light was coming from the recesses, as though the Deceiver's outer necrodermis shell had been cracked open, releasing the true cosmic monster from within.

He's also got an unfinished base that I plan to be magnetically mountable should I enter him into a painting tournament.

The Deceiver doing what he does best...Deceiving things.

As you can imagine, I had a ton of fun with this guy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode