Ideas for 40K'ing a Dragon Ogre Shaggoth - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-11, 09:42 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

I'd say the very first thing you need to do, before anything else, is work out exactly what he's going to be rules-wise in the army; then start thinking what to do to him to make him 40Kified. That way you'll have a much firmer grounding in how to go about converting him up and in what gear he'll need to represent whatever-it-is decently.

A Shaggoth is so big that I'm thinking he's going to work best as something on the order of a Daemon Prince or a Defiler/Soulgrinder. For either, here are a few possible ways to go that spring to mind:

replace the two small arms with servo-arm type mechanical pieces, or at least add in so much guitar wire as cabling that the existing arms look augmetic
the model's own axe is way too medieval-looking; replace that with a bulky power weapon of some kind
add armour pieces around the legs, something like overlapping pieces of plate would fit the form of the legs best and still fit with 40K armour patterns
the face would work well with more guitar wire added in for augmetics; think of this Angron pic as a guide:

...that might also be good guide for his hair. The long flowing locks are all well and good, but they're a bit Timotei for the GrimDark...

hth

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-11, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Cheers for the tips Svartmetall!
Rules aren't really an issue, he's going to be just a project for display.
The whole army is going to be on a similar theme, 40K hits fantasy so Beastmen, Minotaurs, Marauders etc. all mixed up with CSM, Traitor Guard/Cultists and Daemons.

I might even go with some Skaven, Chaos Dwarves and even some Dark Elves eventually but, one thing at a time!

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-11, 12:11 AM

newt_e's Flag is: England

Is there anything in the Soul Grinder kit you can use?

I was think along the lines of a techno/organic meld with that, though you may want to go with an armoured Shaggoth instead.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-11, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

I'll have a look through some Soulgrinder bits and see if anything is usable, good idea.
For the axe, which is huge, what about filing down the back blade and fitting a gun there, like on the old GK halberds?
I was thinking it would be an easier way making the axe look less fantasy and would give me something to feed the cables into using Svartmetall's power weapons technique (Which is awesome!).
I like the Angron pic and think I can use a fair bit from it as inspiration, I will need to seriously brush up on my GS skills to pull it off but I've got a definite idea for the head and face now.
Some armour plates and trophy racks, dead Marines and stuff on a scenic base and I'll be there I think.

Thanks to everyone for their input, if I haven't rep'd you yet it's on it's way.
Cheers!

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-11, 02:02 PM

newt_e's Flag is: England

Another thought - is there anything Space Ork-ish you can use? Thinking predominately about Nobz at this stage- some of those have axes.

And looking at Soul Grinders, they have a decent looking sword you might be able to use?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode