Winter Dwarfs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-11, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Default Winter Dwarfs

So, I am now nearly certain that there wont be plastic sisters of battle anytime soon, so I will have to put off my Sisters of Chaos project for the time being. Meanwhile, I am starting a dwarf army and have decided on a winter theme. As I am not terribly skilled/experienced and only moderately creative, I would like to ask Heresy for some assistance!

1. Snow bases are a must, of course. However, GW snow flock does not look too great. I've looked up a few snow methods, but what works for you? Is it better to glue your model onto the snow or put the snow at the feet of your model?

2. Similarly, how can I create the effect of snow on my troops?

3. Slayers seem way under dressed for war in the frozen wastes, any tricks to modeling say bearskin?

4. A final idea I had was to have icicles hanging from the openings of guns and cannons. I can't quite work out how to get anything to look remotely like ice though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-11, 11:06 AM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caxton View Post
So, I am now nearly certain that there wont be plastic sisters of battle anytime soon, so I will have to put off my Sisters of Chaos project for the time being. Meanwhile, I am starting a dwarf army and have decided on a winter theme. As I am not terribly skilled/experienced and only moderately creative, I would like to ask Heresy for some assistance!

1. Snow bases are a must, of course. However, GW snow flock does not look too great. I've looked up a few snow methods, but what works for you? Is it better to glue your model onto the snow or put the snow at the feet of your model?
I glue all the flock at the feet of the model, and not on the model

2. Similarly, how can I create the effect of snow on my troops?
you could use a very light airbrush technieque

3. Slayers seem way under dressed for war in the frozen wastes, any tricks to modeling say bearskin?
Look at the spacewolves for refrence, than, buy some Greenstuff and use that to make the bearskins, you could also use some of the space wolf parts, just replace and wolf heads with bear heads.

4. A final idea I had was to have icicles hanging from the openings of guns and cannons. I can't quite work out how to get anything to look remotely like ice though.
I think some people use an ooze type of creation to do this, I don't know the recipie myself but I am sure someone else will
Hope this helped.

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-11, 05:38 PM

loyalist42's Flag is: USA

For the animal hides, it's really not at all difficult to sculpt onto the model using green stuff. I think there's a tutorial or two floating around someplace. Hell, I've got approximately zero GS skill and I can sculpt a passable fur onto a model...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar89
if I hang out with you any more I just might pick up 40K...You, sir, are dangerous.

Holy shit, I've a plog again!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-11, 06:02 PM

aquatic_foible's Flag is: Great Britain

There's a couple of options for icicles - one is getting your hands on some clear resin [there's tutorials on using it floating around the interweb...], or for the cheap and cheerful version, you can shape bits from plastic cd cases into icicles with a scalpel...

current wip -
dark angels seventh company
skaven horde
the warriors of ulthuan

foible - foi·ble / ˈfoibəl
noun: a minor weakness or eccentricity in someone's character:
"they have to tolerate each other's little foibles".
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-11, 02:48 AM

Raptor_00's Flag is: USA

Well, for a snow/ice base I saw someone use plaster before. They added some skull white to the mix to give it a nice white snow color. At the end they took some wet plaster out and added some blue and smeared it on top to give it a blue ice look.
- I did give this a try on a sample base once and had a problem of the plaster cracking and chipping and falling apart. I don't know if I did the mix wrong but didn't try it again (though I do plan to experiment when I get a good snow army idea to do). It did look cool for a base though.

For snow on your troops you may want to check out a hobby store and see if they have some small fluff like powder (a model train store will probably be your best bet) Then maybe use a little white glue and sprinkle it on the model. Only problem I see is if you use to much glue it'll show up on the models.

Not a great green stuffer so will leave that to the experts.

For icicles maybe try a clear resin and let it drip down forming a point. It may take a layers to get it to proper length. A clear epoxy may work for this too and may be the cheaper more readily available option.

Just a few ideas to try some experiments on.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like some great ideas! So is the GW Snow Flock just not worth it?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 01:11 PM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caxton View Post
Sounds like some great ideas! So is the GW Snow Flock just not worth it?
I personally like it, but its up to you if you like it or not, some people do, some people dont.

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 03:42 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

I'd look into getting a different company's snow flock. GW's little tub of snow flock is outrageously priced-- that white powder they sell is more expensive than blow. I like the snow scatter that Woodland Scenics sells-- it's similar to GW's, but seems to be slightly larger-grain.

Also, when you apply the snow flock to the base, apply it after you've done everything else you're doing with the base. Basically, just base the model with sand rocks and paint it as normal. Then, after you've sealed the model and everything, superglue some snow flock on.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 04:08 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I am with Horus. GW flock in general is just too expensive for what you get. I would recommend going to a model train shop. The have a great selection of terrian stuff, including a multitude of different flocks, sand, and basing material. You can get a huge bag of product that is close to three times the amount of material for half the price of GW's stuff.

Here are a couple of videos covering fur sculpting

and a couple of links to other tutorials

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...300008&start=6

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...owtopic=181241

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode