Word Bearer Terminator - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Default Word Bearer Terminator 5 Man Squad

After putting it off for weeks, I've finally finished the champion of this terminator squad. How's he look?

Compared with a regular word bearer trooper:

And the rest of the unfinished squad:

This was my first attempt at glazing, after reading numerous tutorials on the net, including this one here in the forums. Most paints were thinned with water at least 5:1 ratio.

What have I learned? Do not thin down your base coat 16:1 with water, it takes forever! 4:1 Water to paint works fine to build up the base coat. 6 or 8 to 1 works good for the shadows and highlights.

For these guys I used (vallejo) gory red base color. Shadows are gory red with some chaos black and charred brown added. Highlights eventually worked best with 1:1 gory red and blood red. First tried some lighter greys, which were too stark in contrast.

Quite proud of the power axe effect here.
Base coat of solid black and stippled with watered down magic blue. Then I put a layer of propylene glycol on to slow dry time. This made the paint take 5 minutes to dry instead of a few seconds. Using Wraithlord's technique and my tiny 000 brush, did the electrical charge lines with magic blue, electric blue and some skull white.. still all watered down quite a bit.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Jayeldog; 01-19-11 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 02:48 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Very good! Neat, and unusual basing, solid paintjob, fine detailing, and the Legion symbol, for me is the highlight.

If I had to find a criticism it would be that I'd like the silver trims to be darker, and the skulls - but that is as likely a flaw in the photo as anything else - and it doesn't detract from an excellent paintjob. +Rep.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 03:34 AM
The Yellow King

Azwraith's Flag is: Australia

i love the mini.. its really cool with the crazy blue/turqoise head its cool!! +rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
I wore my first dress about 15-16- no reason for it, I was just sat in the props room at school writing an essay and decided to try on the leopard print top and mini-skirt, even threw on a blonde wig, and I must admit the breeze to my gentlemen was a rare delight.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 03:46 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I think that you have some really great looking models there! I love the free hands and the tonal quality of the armor. I would agree with KingElessar that I would like to see some more shading on the silver trims, but like he said it doesn't detract at all from the quality of the over all finished product. I am not sure how I feel about the turquoise face, it just seems a little out of place with the rest of the scheme. It is nicely executed and more of a personal feeling than a critique of your work. Great models! Look forward to seeing more. +rep

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:34 PM

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 04:51 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Very skilful execution.

I agree with Midge that the turquoise head looks odd; especially on a turquoise base. However that is personal preference, so as long as you like the high contrast that is all gravy.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 05:32 PM

Heyy love the model especially the shoulderpad details, the head is a bit too bright and a bit too solid. Maybe get a wash on there and do some shading to darken him down a bit. It looks a little cartoony for my liking.

Just my 2 cents

I always knew I was an unwanted child when my bathtoys were an electric toaster and an alarm clock radio.https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6067&dateline=1226929  578

Currently playing:
Venomspam Dark Eldar, Dragiowing, Russel Crowe and his purifier buddies, Space wolves, Heresy Worldeaters (Countas BA)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 09:31 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

These look good. I agree with Mr Hobbit et al. The head and the base looking so close in color, especially so saturated a color is strange. And the base seems to take over the composition because it is so bright and saturated compared to the rest of the miniature.

The head looks really nice, and draws a lot of attention. Its really only fighting the base. A few, more saturated accents might help.

Cheers,
Kreuger

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 09:38 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Sooo very impressed. Freehand iconography, power weapon effects, overall quality all superb. I like the face color particularly as he is a champ it will make him stand out. I like the unorthodox coloring of the bases too. Fantastic work.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 11:57 PM
Boondock Shogun

Shogun_Nate's Flag is: USA

Fine job on the mini bud! You get kudos for the hand-painted symbols. They really give the minis extra character. The paintjob is overall, quite well-done and I have to agree about the color of the head in that I like it. It sets him apart. What really catches my eye is the detail of the horns. I don't know why but they just do. Keep up the good works!

Good luck and good gaming,

Nate

"If you can't stun them with your tactical brilliance, baffle them with your superior grasp of BS."

"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAllFather View Post
Well, seeing as how you capitalize your characters, use proper grammar and punctuation, I'd say you qualify.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode