Basing my Daemon Models? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Basing my Daemon Models?

Hey everyone.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my first completed unit of Daemons (bloodletters), but I've run into two problems I'd like some help with.

1. Square or Circle Bases?

I've only ever played 40k and that's what my local gaming group plays as well (there are four of us). But the best thing about this army is that I have the option to then play Warhammer any time I want, and from what I understand, they kick ass in Fantasy as opposed to 40k where they are only average.

So for that reason I'm leaning towards square bases, but is that going to cause problems if I enter a 40k tournament? So some thoughts and opinions on this would be great.

2. Basing the models with flock?

I've been using sand for my CSM and Space Marine armies as well as my nephews tau and it's fine and dandy. But I've run out and I couldn't be bothered buying anymore and I'm thinking of changing things up a bit anyway.

I have a whole bunch of GW grass flock but I'm just wondering what your opinions on using that would be? The reason I'm not liking it is I think it would look too clean and virginal (tee-hee-hee), and a daemon horde should corrupt everthing it touches.

So I'm wondering if anyone with a bit of experience might recommend either a different type of base that would befit all my daemon models, or a way to make the grass less clean and new looking.

So those are the questions folks, any useful help will recieve a full 4+ Rep!!!

(As a sidenote, anyone who takes photos of their models to post on here at heresy, how the heck do you do it? Everytime I try it always comes out all fussy if I am too close, but if I go any sort of distance away you cant see the details. Is there any particular skill or method of doing it, i.e a particular background or lighting etc?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 07:03 PM

Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom

For the basing problems, if you're going to make some funky bases for them you'll be able to put magnets in them. A chum of mine cut the new space hulk terminators off the plastic bits they were on, and magnetised them to bigger scenic bases for 40k. When he wants to play space hulk he puts them onto magnetised square bases.

Works well, and the magnets you can get cheap as chips on ebay.

For the flocking, I'd use coarse sand with a few rocks lashed in for good measure. The sand can be painted as soil/mud with a dark base coat and a few layers of lighter drybrushing, therocks/stones will just add a bit of 3d to it :-)

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 11:51 PM

wombat_tree's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
1. Square or Circle Bases?
I'd go for the square bases if you consider the following things:

- Warhammer 40000 uses round bases but only because they look nicer they don't really need to be round, they just are
- Warhammer Fantasy needs square bases because it makes it much easier to put them into ranks

I'd say go for the square ones but I have no idea what problems (if any) a tournament would have with this, realistically they shouldn't as it offers no advantage but you should check first.

Quote:
2. Basing the models with flock?
First of all I would like to point out that flock refers to all basing material, not just static grass. The standard Games Workshop static grass would probably look fine as it does not look particularly healthy but I would recommend buying one of the other grass packs (except for obviously the glade grass) as they will probably look much better.

A method that I have been using on my models is to glue the grass onto the base in a roughly circular pattern then after about ten minutes (so it has a little bit of time to dry) press down on the grass so that a light cover of glue is over the grass, once it dries it will look like the grass has been trampled on.

Quote:
As a sidenote, anyone who takes photos of their models to post on here at heresy, how the heck do you do it? Everytime I try it always comes out all fussy if I am too close, but if I go any sort of distance away you cant see the details. Is there any particular skill or method of doing it, i.e a particular background or lighting etc?)
To help you improve, could you take an example shot of one of your models so that I can work out what you are doing wrong?

A few tips:

- use a tripod instead of just holding the camera, it will completely eliminate the need for a steady hand and will give much better pictures
- sit your models up in front of a sheet of paper, most people would recommend a white sheet but some cameras seem to take photos better on other colours, try blue for example
- you need plenty of light over your models, a lamp of two positioned over the models will do the trick
- use a timer on your camera to help negate any changes in the light

Praise the sun!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-10, 12:01 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

A friend of mine has cracked lava bases for their Daemons. Looks great.

Also, magnetised bases sounds like the way to go, for sure (you painted them unbased??!?)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-10, 12:39 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

If you are thinking of EVER playing fantasy in future with them, use square bases.
(WHFB has specifics for bases. Shape, size, number of vertices and whether or not it is Tuesday. 40k DOES NOT, save 'on bases provided.' Not ON ROUND bases provided.).

Otherwise, base as you want (within reason).

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-10, 01:23 AM

Raptor_00's Flag is: USA

I would recommend circle bases...and then create a movement tray with space for the circle bases to sit in. This way you have circle for 40k and they fit in a square movement tray for fantasy. A little plasitcard, some glue and paint the tray as you paint the bases and your should be set.

As for basing...I always think cracked lava looks great for demons.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Righteo.

Problem one is solved as I'll be using square bases. I looked up my 40k rulebook and there is no rule that states you HAVE to have round bases, whereas you folks are correct that square is mandatory for Warhammer. So thanks for that.

In regards to the basing you guys have solved one problem but now I've got another and a few questions.

1. I'm going to do a lava base, here was my idea of how to do it. Take the base and cover it in the grass flock that I have, then paint the whole thing black, then pick parts of it to paint the lava onto. Does that make sense?

2. I'm going to do all my Khorne Daemons with lava bases, but I'm using a multi-God list which will feature all the Chaos Gods.

So do you guys have any ideas what I could use for Slaanesh, Tzeentch and Nurgle bases?

Thanks for the help so far.

(plus rep will be awarded soon!!!)

BTW I always paint my models before basing them, is that the wrong way to do it? I usually paint all my models in segments then stick them together at the end. So usually, torso and legs together, seperate head and arms and then finish with the base.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 08:07 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I think that if you are going to do lava bases for one part of the army you should do it for the whole thing. One of the problems with the Daemon line, as I think I may have commented on in a different thread of yours, is difficulty in visual cohesion. If you base them the same, with little differences bewteen the different gods, like sculpting writhing faces into the rocks for Tzeentch, adding some pestilent pools of ich along side the lava for Nurgles, and though I would love to add something for Slaanesh I am lacking creativity right now, it would help give the army a visually consistent look.

I am actually glad that I stumbled onto this thread because I have been suffering the same round/squard dillemna with my own Daemon army. I think that I will also end up going with the square bases so I can play in both systems as well. Good thread.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

Last edited by Midge913; 12-30-10 at 08:09 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
I think that if you are going to do lava bases for one part of the army you should do it for the whole thing. One of the problems with the Daemon line, as I think I may have commented on in a different thread of yours, is difficulty in visual cohesion. If you base them the same, with little differences bewteen the different gods, like sculpting writhing faces into the rocks for Tzeentch, adding some pestilent pools of ich along side the lava for Nurgles, and though I would love to add something for Slaanesh I am lacking creativity right now, it would help give the army a visually consistent look.

I am actually glad that I stumbled onto this thread because I have been suffering the same round/squard dillemna with my own Daemon army. I think that I will also end up going with the square bases so I can play in both systems as well. Good thread.
Yeah I'm in the same boat, I'm incredibly tempted to go mono, but I know the minute that I settle on one theme i.e. Khorne, I'll immediately want Slaanesh, Nurgle or Tzeentch as well.

My thinking has led me to the opposite conclusion of yours, basically .... screw cohesion. By embracing the differences of the Chaos Gods, I think you will have a unique and cool looking army.

My fluff thinking (which is always my number 1 priority) is that a horde of all four Chaos Gods ripping through into real space is the most epically awesome sight to see, in the most disturbing way.

You should be assaulted with loads of different sights, sound and COLOURS, meaning that army cohesion is actually what you don't want.

This is why I'm thinking the way to go forward base wise is to highlight the differences as follows:

Khorne - Black, Lava, Skulls, Blood

Nurgle - Garden of pestilence type imagery, so use dark green grass flock, but in putrid colouring, with as you suggested maybe even a few Cesspools or weird looking flowers.

Slaanesh and Tzeentch are where I'm having the most problems.

For Slaanesh I'm literally of doing the standard green grass/goblin green bases but with purple lines cracked through it to indicate the corruption of beauty Slaanesh represents.

For Tzeentch I haven't a clue.

As always though I think my ideas are waaayyy to difficult for my skill level as a painter, so it's one of those sucky situations were you can imagine the
army but can't actually complete it the way you want. Not to mention budget concerns and other projects like a tactica, painting guide, 40k story, fluff guide, and a little thing called a PhD.

Looks like I'm going to be a busy bee this year lol.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 08:34 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Quote:
My thinking has led me to the opposite conclusion of yours, basically .... screw cohesion. By embracing the differences of the Chaos Gods, I think you will have a unique and cool looking army.

My fluff thinking (which is always my number 1 priority) is that a horde of all four Chaos Gods ripping through into real space is the most epically awesome sight to see, in the most disturbing way.

You should be assaulted with loads of different sights, sound and COLOURS, meaning that army cohesion is actually what you don't want.
You have a point there..... I hadn't thought of it from a fluff perspective..... Well as you get some stuf done I would love it if you posted it. I am going to be packing my Daemon stuff away for awhile due to other projects and I am sure that when I break them back out I will need some inspiration.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode