Scratchbuilt Dreadnought Force Weapon - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
genesis108's Flag is: USA

Icon Scratchbuilt Dreadnought Force Weapon

If you've check out my project log for my Battle Company, you may have seen this already. If not, here it is.

So, I decided to build my own force weapon for my Furioso Librarian Dread, because, while I like the look of the Grey Knight Dread Force Weapon, it is over used. So, I made my own.

I started by making a template with the existing DCCW arm, then made the base frame out of 5mm Foamcore. I cut the angles of the arm opposite that of the DCCW and began working out the arm joint and assembly. For the arm pivot joint, I used a vehicle Searchlight housing. The Arm assembly for the weapon is the Hurricane Bolter sensor and the Hunter Killer Missile sensor. The blade is a Ravenwing Power Sword. The power coupling on the back of the arm is a Plasma Pistol. After that, I added on the card to cover the foamcore to give the arm a little bulk and some armour and smooth out the wavy flow of the foamcore frame, and then added some bits to it to make it more...Dreadnought-ish and Librarian-ish..like the Book from the Chaos Terminator Lord box, and the Skull and Crossbones from the LRC upgrade set. The wire is actually Silver Bearing Soldering wire..very flimsy until it is spun around itself, which I did using a Razorwire technique I found on Dakka.

Here are the pictures..sorry for some of them coming out a little blurry. Hand was a little shaky and Auto-Focus wasn't wanting to work.

Size Comparison with DCCW:

Arm on the Dread:

All in all, a very simple, fun, effective, and fulfilling little project I did until can go get my 3mm Foamcore to get started on my 2 Stormravens.

C&C Welcome, as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 02:47 PM
Grey Knight Converter

asianavatar's Flag is: Canada

Awesome I like it...wish it was a bit bigger though...the sword that is...

I used to roll the dice, Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Quote:
I'm afraid there's no authoritative source for thinking you're an asshole
Aramoro
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 02:49 PM

OrdoMalleus's Flag is: United Kingdom

Very Nice, it should look sweet when its painted up!

I actully play Grey Knights so I converted my Forceweapons from the forgeworld ones, but I think yours from scratch is a lot better and distinctive.

+Rep

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

If I had a bit of Plasticard, I would have made a bigger one..but, gotta go with what I have, and unfortunately, that's all I had at the moment.

Thanks, though!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 02:53 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

i like the idea, but i think you need a larger blade and one a different shape as it looks a little too much like a jack hammer at the moment,That aside its a great bit of modeling have some rep

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. I agree about the blade. I would like something a little more like this as the blade..

However that weapon runs roughly $10 USD after shipping...so..lol

Really just anything bigger than what I have. I am heading to the hobby store here in a few to get the 3mm Foamcore for my Stormravens, I'll see if they have any Plasticard so I can make a bigger blade..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 03:45 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

well if they dont i sell it, shipping is only 1.80 and the sheets are A4 size so you get plenty, i also sell foam core too.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. The hobby store was paradise. Foamcore, plasticard, Tamiya paints, files, pin vice bits I actually needed, styrene tubes, Plastruct styrene textured sheets...everything I could want or need.

I added onto the blade before I left too, though..so no need for a new one. I'll get pics up in a bit. I wanna get started on one of my Stormravens..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-10, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

I added a little to the weapon to make it look a little more...menacing. Tell me what you think.

Sorry for the blurry picture. Stupid camera's macro setting doesn't like to focus on dreads.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-10, 08:05 AM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

definitely looks better now in my opinion.

It would be sweet to put a big ass sword in the dreadnought hand that actually looks like a hand from the venerable kit.

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode