Return from The Warp - Page 31 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 398 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

omgitsduane's Flag is: Australia

I am slowly working through and thinking about how to paint up certain stuff, as that was my first challenge "Do I want this tinbits or a really dark boltgun metal?" Tin bits is really dull and dark and yet clearly has a metallic feel so I'm very happy with it so far. I just wanna paint some of the grosser models and go to down with some stuff.

These are the marines I have all primed up and nowhere to go because I'm working on terminators first.

The obliterator was the first model I finished as he's not in the army so no trouble if I screw it up or anything, and although I'm pretty happy with him I don't think the pictures make it look as nice as it does to the eye. Really happy how the flesh looks particularly and the head with the spots on the armor too. Just came out exactly how I imagined plague marines to.

These guys are the 2nd most done of any unit I have so far, and I really like everything but had quite an inner battle with myself about what color to do the blades for the power weapons. Eventually went with a dark red that I'll highlight up to a bright red.

I'm really enjoying painting these fellas but I have a lot of projects in limbo that I feel need finishing touches just to get them off my mind, so I may end up writing a list of all the unfinished guard models I have that just need some paint as well as the skavens I have lying around an a griffon elf rider I'm very keen to finish aswell!

I have been playing games with them now and then and I'm constantly surprised by how well the predators do, the dreadnaughts are basically stupid once in combat but for shooting, well worth their points. I'll be curious to see how they go against other things. I finally found a way to make chaos work and all I had to do was use plague marines. Ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodles View Post
Your brain is incredible, where my brain sees a tyre, yours sees a helicopter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 398 (permalink) Old 04-15-12, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

The first squad of marines is pretty much done, I really dislike how much the camera brings out the edges of the washy bits, I might have to try and blend them down just a little bit, but happy either way. I LOOOVE the flesh on the champion, could not be more pleased with how he came out. I need to highlight and/or scratch up the tinbitz on the models too but a large portion is done.

I decided to go with red power weapons at the suggestion of a mate and ended up looking rather intimidating but bold enough to get attention without being super bright and blinding.

This guys face is probably the best one I've had so far, the washes settled in the perfect spots and gave his skin the perfect tone I was after.

Also attempting to paint one of these up to a nice standard just for myself really, no intention of ever starting another game system but I do love fantasy models. I also have some horsemen on the way that will be great fun to work on. Cannot wait.

Quote:
post #303 of 398 (permalink) Old 05-04-12, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

No stories, just pictures.

I'll say that I feel awful even putting these up, the camera REALLY shows off every single flaw you made.

Guardsmen tanks are slowly pushing ahead.

Quote:

post #304 of 398 (permalink) Old 05-09-12, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

I've spent a bit more time on the knight cleaning up things I didn't like and other parts I was told I shouldn't like and fix.

I am not sure the photos really get across how much time I've put into this model, so I guess my painting skills are peaked about here, but I am still very happy with it.

One thing I am a really big fan of is the chainmail highlight on the gold, it makes it shine like the immortal emperors rotten fury.

The last one his eyes look glossy cos I just applied the paint into the holes but I am still pretty damn happy with myself and can put this model away where it will never be seen again by human eyes!

Quote:
post #305 of 398 (permalink) Old 05-19-12, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

I've been wanting to hobby but lately finding myself struggling more and more to get started. Last night however I did manage to detail the tanks a little and also made some terrain the other day.

Another view.
The two predators are still a while off finished, I need to make sure I clean up all the areas where the red wash leaked onto, as well as any "fleshy" areas that are not supposed to be fleshy get cleaned up. I also do want some moderate wear on the tanks and might try using sand as rust... but we'll see how happy I am to risk that when I get to the end stage.

The rhinos are looking up to scratch too. I am not so sure if I need to gloss,or should gloss the lights, but the lenses all need a gloss and maybe a quick clean up before I do that, but as with the predators they need some TLC before I can call them done.
DRIVE ME CLOSER! I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY SHARPENED LIMB!
It's no award winner, but once they're done I'm hoping they look especially disgusting.

One thing I was wanting a bit of feedback on was, with some of the pores in the fleshy parts of the vehicles, to maybe fill them up with some yellow paint mixed with PVA to appear as though they're leaking puss everywhere? It's an idea that will go well with them, be easy to do and most of all make them just little bit more interesting. So feedback please.
I also want to make the holes on the hulls look organic, in that they are not bullet scratches or blasts but actually the hull mutating to push out more eyes or organs, and around the areas I would like some ideas of how to paint something to give off that impression? I was going to highlight the areas with a lighter green and go from there but any input would be greatly appreciated!

My mate has given me a bit of hassle about putting the pieces on boards because last time we had trouble getting guys to move around them, but these wont be nearly as complex and I dont picture something as great as a chapel or citadel being built on a ground floor, it needs to be a little more epic than that. Am I right?

Last for this update is the lictor I'm in love with.. Except for the big claws. I wish I had of just used normal hormagaunt talons but here we are regardless. I think it could use some sort of alien/insect camoflauge pattern on either its bone or the carapace so suggestions again, welcome. I may end up going with a slight dot pattern on the carapace and see where that takes me.
Lictors are a little like moths.
Go to the light.

So that's all from me for a little bit. Having a lot more games with plague marines and hoping to score some wins this weekend! Wish me luck.

Quote:
post #306 of 398 (permalink) Old 06-01-12, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Okay, I've not done much painting in the time I've had because... Well to tell the truth I reinstalled Fallout New Vegas and it took more time away than I expected, and was far too grindy to be much fun for me.

I did manage to however get around to almost finishing my nurgle bikers first off.

They are still not done, I'm struggling with the concept of maybe having them a lot more "attached" to their bikes, almost like an obliterator is to his weapons.

And a nurgle biker lord. I figured I would use the space marine biker for him cos it looks so much more rugged and tough, suiting the nurgle theme nicely. I didn't want to overdo the nurgle on him obviously, but he is still quite rotten. I've been using a lot of plastic glue and liquid greenstuff to create rot on models and so far I'm really loving the effects you can get.

I don't have bases for them yet actually, but I will be getting some on order from ebay and have to deck them out nicely.

This squad of marines carrying flamers will be slowly adapted into my ranks, I wanted them to look slightly more experienced and hardened than my normal soldiers and the stacks and belly stuff works well with them. Not to mention the entire squad has faces exposed and rotted away thanks to the old plastic cement.

I may have to take more photos of just the heads for it to even show, but I think when I paint them they'll look a lot more gruesome than simple helmet marines.

And the true bad-asses of the army (even though I'm not using them) are these guys. I have magnetised the bolter arm as I may or may not want to combi-something them but no idea what way yet, I also magnetised the reaper autocannon so these guys can sit back a little bit if they wanted and blast rhinos.

Last but not least is a couple of small objectives. Me and some friends are starting a campaign soon, and I figure since no one else will, I'll make some objectives for my games so its easy enough to see.

I am running

Daemon prince of nurgle, wings and nurgles rot.

Dreadnought with multi melta, extra armor and heavy flamer
Dreadnought with lascannon and heavy flamer

7 Plague marines, 2 flamers, champion with fist and rhino
7 Plague marines, 2 melta guns, champion with fist and rhino
7 Plague marines, 2 melta guns, champion with fist and rhino

Predator, all lascannons.
Predator, all lascannons.

I am actually terrified of going up against tyranids so if anyone has any tips and hints to battle tyranids (and not list suggestions because it's way too late, and nids are the only thing I have serious trouble with.)

Quote:
post #307 of 398 (permalink) Old 06-27-12, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Not been too busy, pictures ahoy!

Nurgle lord on bike, not done, but I'm liking it so far, the powersword could be better though I'm just so drained from all this plague marine stuff.

Another view
One more side

I have yet to really use these guys in game well, but I'm learning as I think their speed could be quite harsh against unsuspecting units.

Ogryns are getting the final steps, not to keen to paint these guys but I guess I cant escape any of it. I would like to rip out the gut plates though and just put more belly/wires and things in place as I feel they dont look that great.

I bought some 40mm bases a week ago for making objectives for games with mates, since no one else shows interest in it.

I actually LOVE this one, the rats came in handy that I got off a mate and I think the final product is fairly cool.

Ork objective

And lastly for today, the horsemen (rough riders), I have a long ways to go with these guys but I am so tired of painting green and tin bits ha.

Quote:
post #308 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Wish I could say I did the star on his banner, but I had a friend of mine do it cos I trust his skills.

Quote:
post #309 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 07:50 PM

pchandler43's Flag is: USA

I know it's late in the game for this, but I've been reading through the entire thread...and it's totally awesome. Anyway, I wanted to address the question you had about what melta damage on a tank would look like. Well from my experience in the army with incendiary grenades and things of that nature, the metal would be melted around the entry point of the attack, possibly even all the way through depending on where it's hit. Whoever was near the penetration point would suffer extreme burns, cauterization, death, talking skin and bone melting. If it was a sort of tank around like, say, a SABOT round from another tank or even a anti tank weapon, than the inside of the tank would look like a ground beef factory...you can use your imagination there. As to the size of the entry hole, it wouldn't be all that much bigger than the melta....beam? (for lack of a better word).

Know it's kinda late for that answer but I hope it helps

Your thread is awesome by the way, I've enjoyed every page of it...even got some inspiration out of it!

"From the darkness we strike: fast and lethal, and by the time our foes can react... darkness there and nothing more."
Raven Guard saying

post #310 of 398 (permalink) Old 07-08-12, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchandler43 View Post
As to the size of the entry hole, it wouldn't be all that much bigger than the melta....beam? (for lack of a better word).

Know it's kinda late for that answer but I hope it helps

Your thread is awesome by the way, I've enjoyed every page of it...even got some inspiration out of it!
Just wanted to cut your quote a little short and grab hold of the points I want to reply to. After playing the space marines game, the melta gun comes off as some sort of liquid copper-shotgun. In that it fires the jet of molten metal in a spread very similar to a shotgun, which is an idea I'm really fond of as it means it leaves the tank with much less of a chance of working, with damage located all along a section. So that's how I tend to try and model metal gun shots.

All replies are always very welcome. I do this thread for people that might take away anything from what I've done or even replicate for themselves, just like I have from threads before me. Thanks again for reading, and the comment is certainly appreciated.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode