Getting started painting - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Ascendant's Flag is: USA

Default Getting started painting

Ok, this is a little obnoxious, but I checked the stickies and couldn't find much help, so here goes...

I play with an unpainted army.
I don't play at the FLGS or anything, just with a couple friends, and they generally play with at least some unpainted minis as well.
BUT! I am sick of having my all my little gray men lacking paint, and have decided to do something about it. I'm going to start with the marines I have, and have settled on a basic scheme ( see attached pics).

Then I realized something rather important, and that's that I have no idea what I am doing. I don't know what to buy or how to use it or anything.
I'll need a couple brushes, yes, and paint, but I don't know how much this is going to run me.

What will I need to paint up 1500 points or so of marines? We're talking 4 tanks, maybe 40 odd marines. I was thinking 3 brushes of varying sizes, probably 5 to 7 paints, and a can of undercoat to prime them with? $70ish?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spacemarine(2).jpg (41.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg spacemarine(3).jpg (32.7 KB, 0 views)

Check my Purgators progress log, and give me crap for not working on them enough!
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=64616
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 11:08 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

of the two schemes the black one would be the easy one, get a couple of cans of spray chaos black and spray the lot black, then pop along to the GW website and search for black templar painting guide, the painting guide will tell you haw to paint the white and red parts and what colours to use and what you need to buy, as for brushes 3 should be enough get a base coat, detail and fine detail or the equivalents

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-10, 06:05 AM
moo

moo's Flag is: United Kingdom

Agreed with BnK, for a tabletop army, all you'd need would be chaos black undercoat, 2 brushes, (maybe a 3rd as spare), black paint, red paint, white paint, and another colour perhaps for other details such as green or blue? and you should be golden. That shouldn't set you back too much money wise either.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-10, 06:23 AM

I started out with a 20 year old citadel painting set given to me by my uncle. It only had 8 paints and a brush but worked fine for me. I think it all depend on what techniques you want to be using. For example you don't want to ruin your detail brush by drybrushing (I've tired) luckily my brush was pretty cheap

Skar

Visit my site here
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-10, 07:04 PM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

Hey i did this tutorial/advice page for newbie painters if it helps :

http://www.freewebs.com/chloer90ltp/forthebeginners.htm

It gives advice on what you need, how much it will cost etc. hope it helps
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-10, 08:50 PM

LordRaith's Flag is: USA

For a tabletop army the paint job doesn't need to be spectacular, so don't worry about getting the absolute best equipment or doing the absolute best job. The paints will run you a fair amount of money, but brushes don't have to. I get mine from Walmart, and for a tabletop army they work fine, I've even gotten a few compliments on a couple of models.

Just remember that most people's first models look pretty amateurish, just have fun and keep at it and pretty soon they'll start looking great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode