Crisis suit melee weapons - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-08, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default Crisis suit melee weapons

Hey all. For a more unique look, I'd like to add some plastic melee weaponry to my crisis suits (plastic because metal would unbalance the model). Specifically, I'd like to add spears or other polearms to my commander's retinue (for the honor guard look) and any weapon to my team leaders. Since they're equipped with missile pods that I can mount to the shoulder they have 1 hand free.

The plan is to drill a small hole for the weapons to go in and in the case of polearms to clip the weapon in two and glue it in the holes on either side of the hand.

However, I'm unsure of where to find weaponry of appropriate size and scale. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-08, 12:06 AM

Frostbite's Flag is: USA

I've considered this as well, and for polearms your best bet is to go to a model train or other such store and get plastic dowels. The come in all sorts of diameters, and some are just the right size for suits. As for the heads, you'll find all sorts of cool stuff in bitz boxes and on old sprues. Try a combination of power sword and axe bits for a halberd, etc.

We live in fame, or go down in flames!

This is a game like real war, played against time, and played under circumstances of considerable excitement, and it is remarkable how elastic the measurements of quite honest and honourable men can become.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Interesting idea, thanks frostbite. Gonna check if I can steal some from proper sized knight toys or something before I try my hand at building my own though.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 03:19 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

I never got why everyone;s always in such a rush to slap melee weapons onto Tau. I;ve seen people giving their squad leaders katanas too.

I know they're all anime looking, and an anime mech without a sword is like a day without sunshine, but they*really* don't fit with the Tau philosophy

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 03:33 AM
Hespithe's Flag is: USA

lol... I'm doing the same thing for my Necrons. Sure they're not mêlée based units, but the Necron Warriors would look sweet with pole-arms, I think. And, like may military units in history and currently, such weapons may be purely ornamental and ceremonial, just like today's unit standards. Why not give a bit of personal style to a modeling project?

The Naginata was recommended to me for use on my Warriors, but it does not have the right feel for my army. I think it might be perfect for yours, though. Give it a search and see what you think. It should be very easy to make with bit of styrene rod and a bit of thin styrene sheet.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 04:31 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I never got why everyone;s always in such a rush to slap melee weapons onto Tau. I;ve seen people giving their squad leaders katanas too.

I know they're all anime looking, and an anime mech without a sword is like a day without sunshine, but they*really* don't fit with the Tau philosophy

The Tau may not LIKE close combat, but in a universe where everybody else does, and tend to be more dangerous with swords than guns, the Tau would be downright stupid not to at least bring some sort of sharp object with them. Hell, even the Imperial Guard get issued bayonets, and the Imperial war machine's tactics border on slightly insane and mentally retarded. The Tau are a bit sharper than that, tactically speaking, so somehow I think they'd pack a slightly more combat-appropriate device in addition to their bonding knife.

Look at it from the reverse. No modern military relies on swords anymore, because guns are much more efficient. That being said, I don't know of anyone who goes into combat, particularly in a city, without at least a knife on hand.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 04:43 AM

One of the reasons I like the idea of giving suits close combat weapons is because they almost always end up in assault with fast assaulters. Even a good Tau player can't help that sometimes, and suits are priority one. So, in imagining how they'd fight back, it seems silly to see them lashing out with their stumpy arms. The arm mounted weapons like Burst Cannons would shatter on impact if you hit a Terminator or Marine, so it just makes sense to take along something that can hurt them without preventing you from shooting again.

This is a game like real war, played against time, and played under circumstances of considerable excitement, and it is remarkable how elastic the measurements of quite honest and honourable men can become.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 04:44 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

There's a difference between an army that favors ranged weapons and a race that is philosophically opposed to close combat. It's more than just knowing that they suck up close they favor ranged. Close combat is just not part of their mindset. That's what Kroot are for ;-) The only one of them who actually stoops to hitting people with a sharpened piece of metal is considered a renegade.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 04:50 AM

Tau are not philosophically opposed to close combat, they just see it as rather barbaric. They may not train for it as much as other races, but they do realize that it happens and prepare. The main reason they prefer to shoot is because they are inferior in both reflexes and strength when compared to most other races. Their eyes do not readjust focus very well, and the larger Fire Warriors are about average compared to a human.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

I actually got the inspiration when I charged my crisis suits into the chaplain of the assault squad they had killed in shooting (otherwise the chaplain was going to charge them next round and get all his sexy charge bonuses). The gambit worked, and I took down his chaplain without losing a suit.

Then I figured that they have an open hand for melee weapons and they would look good on them, and generally if it looks good and makes sense, go for it. Also, though tau disdain melee combat, it's somewhat inevitable in many battles and one would think that the adaptable tau would start to figure out that maybe flailing with their stubby little crisis suit arms isn't the best way to defend oneself which is why the team leaders/shas'vre would have them. The tau also have a precedent for using status symbols as melee weapons in their ethereals and so having team leaders etc. with them would also be good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode