Need help with Magnetization - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-10, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default Need help with Magnetization

I recently picked up the new deff dread kit and I'd like to magnetize the arms so they can be taken off for weapon destroyed results or swapping around what weapons I'm using (specifically the small arms, the large ones will be glued in and the weapon at the end magnetized.) Thing is, I have no idea what size or shape magnets to get. The arms are plastic but significant in size.

I'm thinking cylinders would work well since they can be drilled out easily with a dremel (and I could be wrong), but there are many widths and diameters to choose from.

Can anyone shed some light on this? (and what bit size to use for what magnet size?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-10, 11:55 PM
grunak's Flag is: Sweden

Hi,I will attempt to give you some help without having any idea about the size/weight of the deff dreads arms.
As a rule of thumb I tend to think,the bigger the magnet the better.
After looking at the small arms on gw homepage I would think that a 6 mm round magnet should be good,if you can fit it in the socket.If you can get a 10 mm magnet in there you will have to fight to get that thing off.
For the weapons on the big arms,maybe a 2 mm round magnet? Really the easiest way to decide should be to measure on the model and go from there.
As for using drill bits,I use the same size as the magnet,6 mm drill bit for 6 mm round magnet and so on. Hopefully this was semi-helpfull.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-10, 03:45 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

The bigger the magnet isn't necessarily the better.

Magnets of 6mm and larger tend to have a stronger grab to each other than a superglue bond - so recess them and put a barrier between them and use a stronger adhesive like araldite instead of superglue.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-10, 04:30 PM
Grey Knight Converter

asianavatar's Flag is: Canada

I took a look at the deff kit online and from what I can see a 1/8 inch rod magnet should work fine.

The main arms are socketed and you won't really be changing the arms much, just the weapons, so you might want to consider just gluing that joint. If you do decide you want to magnetize the shoulder joint. Drilling out and putting a magnet in the body and on the arm socket will work. Just make sure you line them up first the way you want the arms to be positioned. One final thing, not sure how thick the plastic is on the body, but it might be too thin to hold a magnet once the socket has been drilled out. If that is the case, green stuff on the inside to thicken the plastic siding should help.

For the weapons on the main arm, a magnet in the forearm where the ccw sockets with the main arm will work. The sockets for the weapons seem pretty thin, you might need to get another thinner magnet, or another option is a really thin nail. Drill out a hole into the weapon part of the socket. Cut the nail down and place it into the hole with the head part of the nail sticking out. If you line it up properly and sink the magnet in a bit, the weapon should line up flush with everything.

The same above thing could be done for the lower sockets. Magnets into the joint, nail into the arm and weapon sockets. Again, make sure to counter sink the magnet in the joint.

I used to roll the dice, Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Quote:
I'm afraid there's no authoritative source for thinking you're an asshole
Aramoro
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-10, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Wow, great stuff. Got a great idea of what I need now, thanks!

I can't really countersink the magnets at this point, as the dread is all put together except for the arms. Gonna glue the large arms into place and put a small magnet into the smaller arm sockets/arms and the large arm weapon sockets. If I need a bigger one later I can always make it larger.

Will let you know how it goes!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode