stripping paint from metal models? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-09, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Praxiss's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default stripping paint from metal models?

I have one of the metal Warsmith models, it was one of the first i ever painted and as such is a bit ropey.

I am in the process of converting it to a chaos master of the forge (by using a servo harness and a necron destroyer gun for a conversion beamer).

Anyway....my question is: Does anyone have any tips for safely removing paint frommetal models? I was goign to just lay into it with warm soapy water and a toothbrush but any better ideas would be welcome.

Current Armies:
Iron Warriors: 7180
Necrons: 2800
Crimson Fists: 2750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 12:02 AM

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

if its an all metal model, then you can use normal paintstripper (there own brand one from homebase is ideal for it), just remove the base first, put the mini in a metal container, pour some of the stripper over it, leave for about 10 mi nutes, then use an old brush and warm water with washing liquid to remove the stripper and paint. Make sure you wear rubber gloves and the area is well ventilated. just make sure you keep the stripper clear of any plastic, painted or varnished areas.
i always use paintstripper for metal minis and have had no problems with it, and if you leave the model to soak a bit longer, it will also losen any glue on the model

oh and never use paintstrippe ron plastic minis, other wise you end up with lumps of melted plastic, if your stripping plastic minis, use detol for that

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 12:04 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Buy Simple green, its a biodegradable cleaner that will take the paint off both plastic and metal models with no damage!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 12:45 AM

Jaxx23's Flag is: Canada

Simple Green is your best bet as WKOA said. U can get at Canadian Tire for like less than 10$ for a decent amount of product. Good thing with this is that it doesnt disolve super glue or plastic glue. So your model is safe, paint-thinner sometimes has the tendency to melt away the super glue. So i wouldnt recommend it

Thought for the Day: Be just and fear naught
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Praxiss's Flag is: United Kingdom

I dont think Simple Green is available in the uk.

it is an all-metal model. i have already managed to break it down (it was built before i discovered the wonders of pinning). I think i have some terps lying around somewhere, will that do?

Current Armies:
Iron Warriors: 7180
Necrons: 2800
Crimson Fists: 2750
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 12:58 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

cellulose paint thinner is the best product in the uk, you can get it at most hobby stores or diy shops in larger amounts. It eats paint and plastic and glue, put your mini in a glass jar fill the jar till the model is covered,leave for 24 hours, pull the model out and run it under a tap, then scrub the mini with washing up liquid and water until it shines.
Been using this method for 20 years and its yet to let me down, be warned though the vapor is lethal and the specks of paint then you scrub off will make your mrs go mental when she finds them on the wall of the down stairs bathroom.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 01:25 AM

Wolfblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

I may be feeling a little uncharitable today, but.... there's a sticky on how to remove paint in this very section of the forum.

I think more people need to be encouraged to use, or be introduced to, the search function. Seeing the same questions crop up time after time becomes tiresome.

(P.s. Dettol).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 10:12 AM

jams's Flag is: Wales

@praxiss - there is a simple green manufacturing plant in st austell and you can order directly from them but it's not cheap.

my tip for stripping metals is to use fairy powerspray

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 10:35 AM

dobbins's Flag is: England

You can use Mr Muscle oven cleaner but requires a lot of scrubbing. If you want a no nonsense approach use Nitromors, you will see the paint start come off immediately and if you soak it overnight everything should rub off easily with a toothbrush the next day. I've used both in the last month and Nitromors is the way to go for stripping metal miniatures.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 10:50 AM
Haraldrr's Flag is: England

I just used regular paint stripper on one of my metal models, scrubbed it afterwards and it looked brand new.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode