My First Model Ever...Grey Knight Termie - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Default My First Model Ever...Grey Knight Termie

This is the first model I've ever painted, even though I already own a fair amount. My friend helped me out a great deal. Here's to you, PirateMetalTroy.

C&C?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 04:02 AM

AVATAR OF DEATH's Flag is: Australia

Very nice dude, keep up the good work

AOD

Brute force and Ignorance

Seriously, it's not cool to use the word 'gay' as an insult. Think about it for a second. -G

One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it.

[Dirge Eterna] Every flight briefing was "A navy ship is going down due to incompetence..."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 04:07 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Looks good! A few suggestions in both the modelling and the painting area.

MODELLING:
Get yourself a hobby drill and drill out his gun barrels, to make them look more like gun barrels. Otherwise, it doesn't need much, except basing, which you should probably do.

PAINTING:
In some areas, your washes are too heavy; In others, its non-existent. Water down your washes a bit more, and apply them a little more uniformly. Also, instead of using straight black wash, use a mixture of brown and black, to give it a grungier, oilier, more realistic feel. With a very thin wash (Watered down enough so you can discern the color, but you can see through it), give the whole thing a good once-over to sort of make the whole model feel a little more worn, and then go over it one more time once thats dry. Otherwise, the paint work looks good, except one thing- The blade. What you should do is paint it a solid color. Afterwards, give the edge a drybrushing in a lighter color, running the brush vertically along the edge of the blade, allowing the blade to cut between the bristles. This will make the edge of the blade a lighter color, as well as the area slightly past the blade, giving it a sharpened look. Right now its a little blotchy.

Also, it appears you did a blue wash to tint areas of the metal. This is a perfectly acceptable technique, but the thing to remember is do your brack (Brown+black) wash AFTER your tint wash, so the tint wash doesn't cover it up in areas where it shouldn't.

Last edited by Iron Angel; 08-19-09 at 04:12 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 04:35 AM

Pirate Metal Troy's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
Looks good! A few suggestions in both the modelling and the painting area.

MODELLING:
Get yourself a hobby drill and drill out his gun barrels, to make them look more like gun barrels. Otherwise, it doesn't need much, except basing, which you should probably do.

PAINTING:
In some areas, your washes are too heavy; In others, its non-existent. Water down your washes a bit more, and apply them a little more uniformly. Also, instead of using straight black wash, use a mixture of brown and black, to give it a grungier, oilier, more realistic feel. With a very thin wash (Watered down enough so you can discern the color, but you can see through it), give the whole thing a good once-over to sort of make the whole model feel a little more worn, and then go over it one more time once thats dry. Otherwise, the paint work looks good, except one thing- The blade. What you should do is paint it a solid color. Afterwards, give the edge a drybrushing in a lighter color, running the brush vertically along the edge of the blade, allowing the blade to cut between the bristles. This will make the edge of the blade a lighter color, as well as the area slightly past the blade, giving it a sharpened look. Right now its a little blotchy.

Also, it appears you did a blue wash to tint areas of the metal. This is a perfectly acceptable technique, but the thing to remember is do your brack (Brown+black) wash AFTER your tint wash, so the tint wash doesn't cover it up in areas where it shouldn't.
There were 2 washes used. The blue wash, which was applied to the boltgun metal undercoat for all the silver (you can see it in all the cracks) to give the metals that blueish hue. Then a brown wash was applied to the gold areas, as well as the purity seals. That's it.

I do agree that the blade is a little blotchy, but that's mostly due to lack of practice. I left the decisions about the painting up to him, and merely showed him how to achieve the effects he wanted. How he wanted the blade wouldn't have been my first choice, but looks pretty good none the less. The whole model is a great start, hopefully his models keep getting better. All in all I'm extremely impressed with how this model turned out, despite the fact that he's never put a brush to a model before in his life.

This is ahead of my first model by MILES. I'm sure a lot of us can say the same.

Thousand Sons: 5W - 2L - 0T
Emperor's Children: 7W - 1L - 1T
Necrons: 1W - 2L - 1T
Salamanders: 3W - 1L - 1T
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 04:41 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Yes, absolutely. I wish I had a picture of MY first model. I wish I had an experienced painter to help me out. That thing looked like a snot-dipped turd. This is much better than my first attempt.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Allow me to elaborate a bit on my choice how of to paint the blade.

The blotchy wash job was done entirely on purpose, to make the blade look as if it was brimming with destructive blue energy. It pretty much turned out the way I wanted it to. I think if I might practise painting some lightning and when I'm feeling confident I'll paint that on the blade.

Thanks for your input, Iron Angel.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 10:46 AM

NerdyOgre254's Flag is: Australia

didn't I see you on /tg/?

you'll find a lot better information here, and we crack down on trolling.

welcome to the forums.

On the subject of Rat Ogres:
But if we give them laser eyes and mounted guns, we'll have to bring in Clan Skryre, and everyone knows how much those limp-tailed snuff addicts overcharge.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 11:40 AM

Looks great! I remember my first model having like.. 2 colours on it haha

I really like the blade.. and I'm pretty intriqued by this so called 'blue energy'

Keep up the good work! Want to see a whole unit painted like this now.. hehe
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 12:53 PM

Inquisitor Varrius's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
I wish I had a picture of MY first model... That thing looked like a snot-dipped turd. This is much better than my first attempt.
Me too. For a first model, this is fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
Camo is the color of cowardice but if the only ones to call you a coward are now a puddle of plasma there isnt a problem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyOgre254 View Post
didn't I see you on /tg/?

you'll find a lot better information here, and we crack down on trolling.

welcome to the forums.
Yeah, I posted this on /tg/ as well. I lurk here sometime looking up stuff for Tau and Daemonhunters, thanks for the welcome.

I have to say again that PirateMetalTroy helped me out a great deal showing me almost every technique I used when painting the model.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode