Blackadder's Lucius Pattern Warhound Titan - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-25-09, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Blackadder's Flag is: USA

Icon Blackadder's Lucius Pattern Warhound Titan

I'm really over my head on this one. Scale will make or break this model and I can't get any decent leg measurements from the photos.

I'm trying a different approach this time as I think the titan will be too top heavy if I make it all from plastic and resin. I'll begin with a basic hull shape as thats what I'm most sure of as far as scale. I've put about a week of evenings into this so far and I'm about to start on the head.

I'm using foam filled poster board 5mm and 13mm thick which works very well and will give me the upper body lightness I'll be needing for stability. The body will be covered with sheet styrene after I get all the proportions right.

I'm thinking 3/4" pine square stock for the leg segments and dowels for the round joints but that may be too massive when covered with styrene.

Anyway here the rough hull and carapace prototype for refining the measurements.

The Blackadder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-26-09, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

No responses to my rather tawdry effort thus far given the mediocrity of the images. I put a few hours in the next week resulting in this.

The Blackadder
post #3 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-26-09, 05:57 PM

Pherion's Flag is: USA

Looking good. Keep us posted on the progress. I want to see it come together as you complete it.

My WIPs

WikiPaint - Come help us build a comprehensive hobby Wiki!!!

post #4 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-26-09, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and the interest.

The hull and carapace required a lot more shaping and refining before the styrene was applied. Initially I was just using the foam hull as a mock up just to get the proportions and overall shape right but decided to jut go with it as the core for the finished model and not do the same work twice.

Blackadder

Here are my first effort on making the legs:

They are way too small and delicate but are fully articulated. Getting the mechanics down for full moveability was the primary purpose for building these prototypes and nothing is wasted as I used them as the core for the full sized legs later on.

Blackadder
post #5 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 04:14 AM

Jaxx23's Flag is: Canada

Imma keep a close eye on this thread for sure

Thought for the Day: Be just and fear naught
post #6 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

I've been going through my photo record and these are the last shots I have of the preliminary building. Its a pity I didn't do more documentation in the beginning but 'There it is', as the saying goes. My next images will be of the actual full sized model as I ultimately decided the proportions were reasonably accurate.

Blackadder
post #7 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I've been going through my photo record and these are the last shots I have of the preliminary building. Its a pity I didn't do more documentation in the beginning but 'There it is', as the saying goes. My next images will be of the actual full sized model as I ultimately decided the proportions were reasonably accurate.

Blackadder
post #8 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 01:27 PM

Jaxx23's Flag is: Canada

Now i can see where people get lazy and buy the FW one, that looks like a TONE of work

Thought for the Day: Be just and fear naught
post #9 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx23 View Post
Now i can see where people get lazy and buy the FW one, that looks like a TONE of work
It's quite likely you haven't had a bad Forge World experience. I received a new in box Stormblade (through Ebay auction) that would have you (me/anyone) in tears. The hull was so badly warped that it looked like a potato chip and I literally had to cut up the entire hull flatten the panels under heat and pressure and reglue it back together. BTW The seller was quite upfront about the defect and the rebuild was beyond his ability. The model came shrink wrapped from Forge World and he could get no satisfaction from them. My son bought a FW Vulture that had tail booms of two different lengths, and a Chaos viper that was missing the cockpit canopy; we're still waiting for that piece. I bought a FW Lightning flier (through Ebay) that had the notorious fusilage twist that I managed to restraighten to an acceptable level. An internet friend of mine bought a Lucius Warhound titan that was missing all manner of parts and had a Mars pattern toe. When he finally got the toe replaced it was the wrong toe even though he stipulated it was one of the side toes he needed not the longer center toe.

In all I'd sooner repair my own mistakes than pay for the privilege of rectifying someone elses (FW's) errors.

Thanks for the reply.

Scratch building is where it's at,

Blackadder
post #10 of 271 (permalink) Old 07-27-09, 10:57 PM

Graf Spee's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
It's quite likely you haven't had a bad Forge World experience. I received a new in box Stormblade (through Ebay auction) that would have you (me/anyone) in tears. The hull was so badly warped that it looked like a potato chip and I literally had to cut up the entire hull flatten the panels under heat and pressure and reglue it back together. BTW The seller was quite upfront about the defect and the rebuild was beyond his ability. The model came shrink wrapped from Forge World and he could get no satisfaction from them. My son bought a FW Vulture that had tail booms of two different lengths, and a Chaos viper that was missing the cockpit canopy; we're still waiting for that piece. I bought a FW Lightning flier (through Ebay) that had the notorious fusilage twist that I managed to restraighten to an acceptable level. An internet friend of mine bought a Lucius Warhound titan that was missing all manner of parts and had a Mars pattern toe. When he finally got the toe replaced it was the wrong toe even though he stipulated it was one of the side toes he needed not the longer center toe.

In all I'd sooner repair my own mistakes than pay for the privilege of rectifying someone elses (FW's) errors.

Thanks for the reply.

Scratch building is where it's at,

Blackadder
yeah, fw resin modells tend to suck in 3 out of 5 cases. but i actually never got any problems to get the deformed parts replaced (except for the time and annoying phonecalls). and i could always keep the crappy parts and use them for wreckage. but yeah, they have real shitty quality control and simply do not seem to care in what condition their stuff is when they ship it. that is actually getting on my nerves.

so start scratchbuilding is way around them. awesome work so far! looks really good. have some rep..

There is no such thing as too many tanks.

Support NetEpic GOLD at the EPICentre.

my tutorial for making rivets:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...110#post445110

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode