How do you bend metal models? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-09, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default How do you bend metal models?

I got 3 shiny new metal Killa Kans and all 3 have the back half warped and pinched inward slightly so that it doesn't mesh with the front half correctly. Is there a good way to go about bending it back into a proper shape? I was thinking maybe soaking it in some hot water, but I'd like some advice on the matter before I mess something up (up to and including my fingers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-09, 11:00 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

well the melting point of pewter is over 140c so even boiling water shouldnt harm the metal, couldnt say if you will be able to bend it even at water boiling point though,might be best just to fill with green stuff or ask for a refund

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-09, 11:24 PM

Pherion's Flag is: USA

I'd have to agree with bitsandkits. Ask for a refund, and try to get the model properly if you can. If you cant. The hot water might work, just be careful, this sounds like a 3rd degree burn waiting to happen.

My WIPs

WikiPaint - Come help us build a comprehensive hobby Wiki!!!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-09, 11:35 PM

Veritax's Flag is: USA

If you can get some...jewlers stone setting pliers will do most metal bending without marring what you are bending.

Honor has died
Love is lost
Hope fades away
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 12:11 AM

hugor1's Flag is: England

killakanz never fit together properly, its a natural flaw with the design, i've got 3 myself and all i did was cut off all the inside bar bits which are ment to go into the other half and just glued it together, if you ask for different ones, you will get the same result matey

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugor1 View Post
killakanz never fit together properly, its a natural flaw with the design, i've got 3 myself and all i did was cut off all the inside bar bits which are ment to go into the other half and just glued it together, if you ask for different ones, you will get the same result matey
Yeah, if I had 1 defective kan and 2 good ones I'd try to get an exchange, but all 3 kans being defective in the exact same way in the same point and everything leads me to believe that there's a problem with the mold.

I think trimming the inside lines and just bashing it together, maybe with some green stuff to fill it out will be the best way, though I think I'm going to try to bend it back into shape by boiling some water in the microwave, placing the defective piece in the water for a couple minutes, and trying to bend it with some pliers (opening up the pliers instead of clamping them down). If that fails, anything more will just end up as bandaged fingers and it's trimming time.

Last edited by Culler; 06-10-09 at 01:46 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 11:30 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I had the same problem as Hugor, and used the same solution

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 12:25 PM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culler View Post
I think trimming the inside lines and just bashing it together, maybe with some green stuff to fill it out will be the best way, though I think I'm going to try to bend it back into shape by boiling some water in the microwave, placing the defective piece in the water for a couple minutes, and trying to bend it with some pliers (opening up the pliers instead of clamping them down). If that fails, anything more will just end up as bandaged fingers and it's trimming time.
If you do try to bend it with pliers make sure to wrap any 'teeth' on the pliers in something soft so that they wont mark the model. You may be surprised at the force applied to materials being manipulated by a pair of pliers. Also, if you plan to use hot water to bend it remember that metal holds heat so be careful when handling the model or you may get burnt quite badly.

Don't mean to be a killjoy and I am sure you aren't foolish, but it is always best to be careful with these sort of things.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 12:54 PM

primeministersinsiter's Flag is: Canada

I am not sure about the inside of a kan, but when I need to bend the pewter, I make sure I have something to shape it. I had to straighten a metal power sword, so I bent it agains a tissue wrapped flat file. Worked like a charm.
-P

"You left the objective? I see you have the tactical genuis of a soap dish."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 01:40 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

How do I bend metal models?
Carefully, and not if I can avoid it.

A lot of older GW models (like deff dredds) were a little sloppy to begin with and only got worse as the moulds got older and more worn. A replacement probably won't do you much good. In this specific case I;d go with what's been said before. Cut the old pegs, pin it yourself and glue the sucker together that way. Fill any gaps with GS and thank the big green gods that orky stuff doesn't have to line up properly ;-)

for general purposes though, if you have to bend metal I suggest smooth jawed pliers and/or a little padding on the jaws to keep from marring the surface. Fortunately peqwter bends pretty easily so heating isnt; really needed, and it;ll generally bend before it breaks.

Generally though I;d rather cut and modify and fill than waste a lot of time and energy benging. It;s hard to get exact results, and easier to end up breaking somehting (including your best set of needlenose pliers)

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode