How do you bend metal models? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Thanks for the tips. The issue with this model is bending it outward rather than inward. As you can see in the picture it pinches down toward the bottom, so at the red line is where I need to bend it a few millimeters by heating it to soften it and bending it appropriately with some sort of tool to widen the space on the inside. Plan is atm to use a regular pair of pliers (small), put those pliers inside that space and then open up the jaws of the pliers to force the sides open. Destined for failure or good chance of success? Dunno, but as soon as I can get my hands on a small pair of pliers I intend to find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 36.jpg (7.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 03:08 PM

this will end in tears.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 04:27 PM

Wounded's Flag is: USA

I've always just used a lighter and pliers. maybe wrap the plier teeth in tape to prevent marring the model

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 12:59 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

I don't know if you really need to heat the part. If you take a pair of pliers and wrap the teeth with masking tape to prevent maring the surface then you may be able to make the opening larger. I would probably just grab my dremel and cut out the inside since killa kans never seem to go together properly without some cutting.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 09:15 AM

enieffac's Flag is: USA

Having never seen the model in person, and based on your picture... I'd use a plastic cutting board and a smooth hard round object (I'd bet on an ice cream scoop). You should put a piece of cloth (folded up a few times) on the cutting board, then put your model on top, then press down with your round object (the correct size object will be about a 1/2 inch wider than the gap you're trying to expand). In theory, this should give you a smooth even pressure on both sides and with a little luck and a little finess ought to give you a good result.

Regarding heating up the thing. This is a bad idea. To get it properly pliable, you'll end up heating the entire model. That means all your little pointy details are going to be soft, and there's almost no way that you can heat it up enough to bend the big thick parts without destroying the little thin parts.

If you're insistent on using the pliers spreading technique... I offer a similar option. Use two pieces of wood and put a pen or similar fulcrum between them near the model. Then press the other ends together gently to "squeeze" the model apart. You will have very little control of the force you are applying if you use a normal pliers and just "pull" on the handles and hope for a controlled force.

And always remember.... PINE is the answer to all your pewter bashing needs.

Coffee addicts of the world unite!!!
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/8256/jeffbanner.jpg
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-09, 03:20 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I'd take two pliers, wrapped in tape, and grip in left and right hands, and slowly apply firm pressure.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-09, 04:05 PM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

Rubber hammer!

Put it on a flat surface, whack it good twice and another time for good measure

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-09, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Well, I tried immersing it in water that I boiled in the microwave but it just didn't get hot enough. Would have to place it in water that is actively boiling on the stovetop or such to get it to a sufficient temperature. Not worth it, gonna just trim it and drill some pins. Thanks for the help!

*EDIT* Trimmed 'em, pinned 'em, green stuffed the gaps, looks great.

Last edited by Culler; 06-15-09 at 03:33 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-09, 08:47 AM

jetstreamnz's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culler View Post
Well, I tried immersing it in water that I boiled in the microwave but it just didn't get hot enough. Would have to place it in water that is actively boiling on the stovetop or such to get it to a sufficient temperature. Not worth it, gonna just trim it and drill some pins. Thanks for the help!

*EDIT* Trimmed 'em, pinned 'em, green stuffed the gaps, looks great.
Can I ask why you boiled the water in the microwave, over a kettle or pot (was it for speed?).

When I read that you were going to boil the water in the microwave all I could think of was the super heated water exploding from the cup/mug.

Trimmed and Stuffed cant beat a winning combo.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-09, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstreamnz View Post
Can I ask why you boiled the water in the microwave, over a kettle or pot (was it for speed?).

When I read that you were going to boil the water in the microwave all I could think of was the super heated water exploding from the cup/mug.

Trimmed and Stuffed cant beat a winning combo.
Speed. Boiling it in a pot on the stove would have taken longer and water at a boiling temperature is water at a boiling temperature.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode