Painting the contents of Black Reach... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-09, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Default Painting the contents of Black Reach...

Hi guys, I'm looking for anyone who's:
1 - painted the contents of Black Reach (in any colourscheme or livery, it doesn't have to be Ultras v Goffs);
2 - prepared to do a little explanation or tutorial about it.

We're putting together a kind of 'introduction to Black Reach' for nerw players to get them into the game, a bit like the old Macragge booklet and the Skull Pass intro. Some of us feel that 5th Ed is a bit lacking in that kind of introduction, and I'm sure that there are people who've bought Black Reach, then just stared at it all thinking "Now what do we do?" - so we thought we could give them some ideas.

The main thread, where we're looking at scenarios, is over here, but if you have photos of your painted Black Reach models, and wouldn't mind writing a little bit about how you acheived your great effects, please post them here!

Thanks very much guys, your help and input is appreciated.

:hopefully thankful cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-09, 09:06 PM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Hey here's one of the WIP shots of a few of my Assault on black reacharound marines

And this is how i painted them. They were both undercoated chaos black

1) The basecoat colours are Bestial Brown for the bone side and scorched brown for the red side (This does some voodoo that I can't explain other than its witchcraft that makes the model just look nicer)

2) I then Built up the red side with a mix of around 3:1 Scab red and Blood red. I layered the red until it was almost finished.

3)Next was the Bone, I follwed the same techinque of layering bleached bone, bringing it up to an even, solid colour. (I do the Bone second because if i make a mistake it's easier to cover with the red thatn the other way around)

4) I then carfully apply the final layer to the red side, followed by a dividing black line carefully painted between the colours.

5) I hightlight the red with blazing orange (I'm a big fan of really stark highlights)

6) I then black line all the recesses on the model, this is just personal taste, i just happen to love the loof of black finelining.

7) I then paint the various details and bob's your uncle fanny's your aunt, one marine ala divide-o

I've also got the AOBRA dread painted up in this shceme with added lascannon and ml You'd be surprised by how easy it is to paint a decent half scheme. Although, like many decent shemes, until the final layers of colour are added it looks horrid lol

*(Sorry for the incoherrent rant nature of the post, little wuzy on painkillers)

Last edited by imm0rtal reaper; 04-14-09 at 09:12 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-09, 09:24 PM

Troajn's Flag is: United Kingdom

Very nice job, well done

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-09, 09:50 PM
Icarus Miniatures

Cheers Troajn

I will be doing at least a 1500 point army of these boys later in the year

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-09, 10:18 PM

inqusitor_me's Flag is: Scotland

dude SWEET man

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-09, 10:28 PM

Troajn's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have the AOBR set and am also new to the game (in fact never played it yet). But I will happily do a WIP tutorial when I come to assemble and paint them if it helps anyone?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 04:17 PM

Before I purchased the AoBR Box, I did alot of studying. I read all the atricle on the different factions/races/chapters. And finally decided to go with the Space Marines due to the versatility of their units. Long range. Infiltrate. Heavy Support. Fast Attack. Transports. You name it and they have an abundant supply. I honestly wanted to go with the Chaos Daemons as they were also playable in the Fantasy Games. But I was intimidated with the amount of detail work needed on some units.

So, after choosing the Space Marines, I purchased the codex and started reading up. I looked at the contents of the AoBR box and compared their entries in the Codex. I also started looking at different forums for tips and army builds. This was over a two month research before I even purchased the AoBR Box.

Now that I had my box, what would I do with my Orks? Well, the store has a consignment deal where you can sell unwanted figures and I wanted to sell off the Orks but I haven’t had the time to bring them back to that hobby store. Anyway, I was attracted to the Hit and Run tactics of Kor’sarro Khan but hesitant to paint white. I just took it as a challenge and did the white scheme anyway. NOTE: For paints I used Apple Barrel Paints and Citadel Sepia Wash.

1. First primed Black (Krylon Fusion for Plastics). This was a difficult decision as priming black for a white figure meant several layers of white to bring out the color. But, I figured that the black prime would lessen the need for washes. The primer I bought was wrong as it went on smooth and any watered down paint did not adhere too well.

2. Then, I washed brown as a foundation or base. This step I did just to kinda re-prime the surface for better adhesion when I painted the white. This is what probably gave my figure the ‘dirty’ look.

3. I started laying the white at this point. To my surprise, the craft paint had good coverage as long as you don’t thin the paint too much. As you can see from my photos below, the white still went on pretty think though.

4. Then, I used the brown again to line the details and started wet blending it with the white. This was done by taking a damp brush and going over the lining I had just applied and brushing towards the highlighted area. This gives the illusion of the shadow fading into the light.

5. Now, for any other details that were not white, I painted brown again. This just made the color darker than if you paint directly over white. If you look close at the red on my Tactical Squad shoulder pads, you will see a difference in the color. The darker reds had a deep brown undercoat and the brighter reds had a thin brown undercoat. NOTE: I painted my Tact Squad in batches of five.

6. For the eagle on their chest, I layered Gold over Silver then washed with the Sepia. The reason why I did this is for the same reason of giving the reds a brown undercoat. The silver undercoat made the gold darker.

7. For the guns, I lightly dry brushed the black with a silver/black mix, then, highlighted with pure silver. And finished off with a Sepia Wash. At this point I thought painting black would have been easier and decided to paint a chaplain later on to see if this was true.

8. For basing, I cheated and purchased a diorama kit that had bushes and flock in different shades. I used two different shade of flock to create a shadow effect. The darker shade would go directly under the figure like a shadow and the lighter shade would go everywhere else. I know a lot of people will not notice it but, I knew it was there and that made me happy that I made that subtle detail included.

9. Finally, I gave my figures a clear matte coat finish. I used probably about 3 coats giving about 30 minutes drying time in between coats. Then, I left them overnight before I handled them.

And here are the finished products of my entire AoBR Space Marines. A couple of notes: I painted the Dreadnought first as I wanted to work with larger surfaces as a test for how I would paint the other figures. You can tell because I placed my first decal backwards on his leg guard. When I was satisfied on my layering of colors, I tweaked my procedure a little (not much) and moved on to my Tact Squad.

Last edited by Warlord Imp; 04-15-09 at 04:20 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 04:35 PM
Icarus Miniatures

Nice, i think i like the Dread and Termies the most

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 04:59 PM

Trevor Drake's Flag is: USA

Love those White Scars, its so rare to see a white-painted army nowadays.

Quote:
Trevor_Drake: If you invested $1,000 in Delta Airlines last year, you would have made $43. In AIG, you would have made $33. In Leihman Brothers you would have made $0. Spent that money on beer and recycled the empty cans, you would have made $214. I call it a 401-keg.
Trevor_Drake: Americans walk roughly 900 miles per year, and consume on average 22 gallons of beer a year, so the average american gets 41 miles to the gallon!

Grish: hahaha
Katie_Drake: XD
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 05:02 PM

inqusitor_me's Flag is: Scotland

might be me but thay do look bone to me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode