Before I purchased the AoBR Box, I did alot of studying. I read all the atricle on the different factions/races/chapters. And finally decided to go with the Space Marines due to the versatility of their units. Long range. Infiltrate. Heavy Support. Fast Attack. Transports. You name it and they have an abundant supply. I honestly wanted to go with the Chaos Daemons as they were also playable in the Fantasy Games. But I was intimidated with the amount of detail work needed on some units.
So, after choosing the Space Marines, I purchased the codex and started reading up. I looked at the contents of the AoBR box and compared their entries in the Codex. I also started looking at different forums for tips and army builds. This was over a two month research before I even purchased the AoBR Box.
Now that I had my box, what would I do with my Orks? Well, the store has a consignment deal where you can sell unwanted figures and I wanted to sell off the Orks but I haven’t had the time to bring them back to that hobby store. Anyway, I was attracted to the Hit and Run tactics of Kor’sarro Khan but hesitant to paint white. I just took it as a challenge and did the white scheme anyway. NOTE: For paints I used Apple Barrel Paints and Citadel Sepia Wash.
1. First primed Black (Krylon Fusion for Plastics). This was a difficult decision as priming black for a white figure meant several layers of white to bring out the color. But, I figured that the black prime would lessen the need for washes. The primer I bought was wrong as it went on smooth and any watered down paint did not adhere too well.
2. Then, I washed brown as a foundation or base. This step I did just to kinda re-prime the surface for better adhesion when I painted the white. This is what probably gave my figure the ‘dirty’ look.
3. I started laying the white at this point. To my surprise, the craft paint had good coverage as long as you don’t thin the paint too much. As you can see from my photos below, the white still went on pretty think though.
4. Then, I used the brown again to line the details and started wet blending it with the white. This was done by taking a damp brush and going over the lining I had just applied and brushing towards the highlighted area. This gives the illusion of the shadow fading into the light.
5. Now, for any other details that were not white, I painted brown again. This just made the color darker than if you paint directly over white. If you look close at the red on my Tactical Squad shoulder pads, you will see a difference in the color. The darker reds had a deep brown undercoat and the brighter reds had a thin brown undercoat. NOTE: I painted my Tact Squad in batches of five.
6. For the eagle on their chest, I layered Gold over Silver then washed with the Sepia. The reason why I did this is for the same reason of giving the reds a brown undercoat. The silver undercoat made the gold darker.
7. For the guns, I lightly dry brushed the black with a silver/black mix, then, highlighted with pure silver. And finished off with a Sepia Wash. At this point I thought painting black would have been easier and decided to paint a chaplain later on to see if this was true.
8. For basing, I cheated and purchased a diorama kit that had bushes and flock in different shades. I used two different shade of flock to create a shadow effect. The darker shade would go directly under the figure like a shadow and the lighter shade would go everywhere else. I know a lot of people will not notice it but, I knew it was there and that made me happy that I made that subtle detail included.
9. Finally, I gave my figures a clear matte coat finish. I used probably about 3 coats giving about 30 minutes drying time in between coats. Then, I left them overnight before I handled them.
And here are the finished products of my entire AoBR Space Marines. A couple of notes: I painted the Dreadnought first as I wanted to work with larger surfaces as a test for how I would paint the other figures. You can tell because I placed my first decal backwards on his leg guard. When I was satisfied on my layering of colors, I tweaked my procedure a little (not much) and moved on to my Tact Squad.