Priming: Is it necessary? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Triaspia's Flag is: Australia

Default Priming: Is it necessary?

well is it?

I ask because I live in a town with no GW, or any other art stores and the aus GW dosent have the spray primer in its online store (neither does scrap dragon where im buying my mini's from) plus ive heard automotive primer can melt plastic models.....

So I ask, Is it nessisary to prime models? can I paint them without priming? what are the pro's/con's of not using primer? Are there any other substaces i can use to prime models that would be as easy to get my hands on as dettol/simple green without signing up at another online site just for the 1 item? Did I ask too many questions for one paragraph?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 12:37 PM

lav25gunner's Flag is: USA

Bottom line is that you don't need primer. However, the primer helps the paint adhere to the plastic model better, so it wont peel or flake off. You don't need GW primer. In fact, in my opinion, it sucks and is way over priced. Go to your local large home supply store and buy some primer. Talk to the clerk in charge of the paint department and ask which primer works best on plastic. The Krylon brand is good, I use the Rust-Oleum brand.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

If i use a varnish or sealant on the mini after painting that should also stop the paint from peeling/flaking right?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 01:03 PM
Heresy's Graphics Slave

Syph's Flag is: United Kingdom

The problem is, the paint won't go on as smooth as it could by painting straight to the model. However if you paint the entire model with a coat (or 2) of thinned black or white paint (or infact the base colour you intend to paint your models) that would be okay.

Spray is definitely the way to go though.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

would regular over the counter spray paint work? the kind you might find at walmart or a general store or would these have the same effect as auto motive primers?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 01:27 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaspia View Post
would regular over the counter spray paint work? the kind you might find at walmart or a general store or would these have the same effect as auto motive primers?

Colored spray paint is usually glossy. Primer is flat. Be cautious about not using a primer when using a gloss finish coat type paint. Sometimes the paint doesn't adhere to the bare plastic model in places and can make an "oil slick" looking imperfection known as a "fish eye." The "primer" spray paint is easy to find because it is in the same section as the regular spray paints. Just look for the word "primer" on the can. If you buy automotive primer try and stay away from the "high build" type. It is usually very thick when it comes out of the can. It will be listed right on the label.

The main advantage to using primer is the even coverage of a good foundation for the rest of your paints to adhere too. A good undercoat will give your models a nice even and smooth finish and no fish eye's.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 01:32 PM
Arcane's Flag is: USA

Rubbish all of it.

GW primer is no better than the stuff you can get off the shelf and is overpriced. (am I allowed to say that here? lol)

Go down to your local hardware store and get yourself some flat black primer (or white if that is what you want.) I recommend Rustoleum or XO Rust. If you don't have those companies in AU try Krylon or search for a similar brand. The back of the label will tell you what surfaces it can be applied on.

I just primed something like 100 minis with black XO Rust primer and they are doing just fine. Make sure you do any retouches or coats within 1 hour of the first application, if you wait any longer, you need to wait a full 24 hours for the paint to dry completely since the propellant in the can may take the first coat of paint off after 1 hour and it has started to set up.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

thanks, ill have to check out the hardware stores

would priming on the sprue be easier for a first time primer?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 11:37 PM

Paint is not designed to adhere to surfaces, especially plastic. Paint needs something it can bite into.

Primer is designed to adhere to surfaces, a variety of surfaces in fact.

Paint is design to adhere to primer. (unless it's specialty)

It's strongly recommended for a uniform coat to primer.

I don't spend money on any model companies primer. I buy Krylon spray paint. Their spray paints will bond to plastic, resin or pewter models with no problem. You can also use their primers as well, but generally it's not needed, as their sprays are designed to bond without the need of a primer. I have been using their flat and satin black and white for years.

My experience level pertaining to this thread. I run a paint department at my hardware store. This is what I do.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-09, 12:18 AM

keytag33's Flag is: Canada

As for priming on the sprue. It depends really on your painting style. I do a combination of both primeing built or partially built pieces and the pieces on the sprue as this is how I paint but really just like a lot of things it is up to you.

Virtutis gloria merces

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair. - Douglas Adams

It's a knife for gods sake, what you been useing to keep your fork company all these years, sharp side, blunt side, what you want a lesson? - Bullet Tooth Tony

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode