Painting Tip - To help weather the storm - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-09, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Default Painting Tip - To help weather the storm

Hey everyone,

To some of you this might be something you already do, to others you may find it useless. However, maybe to a few more, this will help you out with your painting... Or lack of painting.

The following tip I use to help get me through squads.

Now, I know when I pick up a new unit, I am super pumped to get painting on them and get them on the table... However, by the final couple of guys, I am so loathed to even touch them, let alone finish painting them. So, I developed this little trick to help me get through squads.

First, I'll take the models and I'll paint something specific on them.. say all the straps. Then, I'll paint up one model completely. My next painting session, I'll paint up all the say weapons. Then, I'll paint another model completely. My next session I'll paint all the boots followed by a complete model. I'll keep doing this every session so that by the last couple , I've got most of the stuff done, IE straps, weapons, boots, etc etc so that the model is pretty much done and requires little effort. For me personally, this really helps getting those last few out, knowing that they are partially done and will take significantly less time. For me, I really hate doing hair, so when I first open the box, I make sure to get all the hair out of the way, etc etc.

Anyways, it may be old news but I hope it helps some people out with their painting.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-09, 05:04 AM

I have always just painted all the models part by part. So, first is the base coat on legs, then chest, then arms, head. Then go back and add next coat once all my models have a base.

I found it was easier doing this then having to open different paints up to finish models when others are still taking the base coat.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-09, 05:25 AM

i try and paint all the parts of a squad at once, starting with the skin or main color and working my way up, sort of assembly line but i olny do it in sets of two or three models

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-09, 06:26 AM
Arcane's Flag is: USA

I paint the same way pretty much. I start with a small squad and paint one completely. When I have a color out I try to hit all the same areas on the other models but usually just get one part, like the gun or the hair etc.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-09, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by steck View Post
i try and paint all the parts of a squad at once, starting with the skin or main color and working my way up, sort of assembly line but i olny do it in sets of two or three models
Hahha, unfortunately for me, I like to see complete models :D Keeps me motivated.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-09, 08:04 PM
Must Paint MOAR!

Riandro's Flag is: United Kingdom

i rank up my sqaud, start on the first thing, like say metal parts, and dont stop until they all have that bit done, take a 5 min break, go to next step. Also to inspire me, i listen to music, helps alot.

Atm im painting my WoC army, and ManoWar seem to be bringing out the nordic side of me and my painting :D

Tea drinkers of the world - UNITE - The wise words of Red Orc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Besides, sometimes you want a break from bolters and bretonians, and that's what penguin-tossing is for.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-09, 08:09 PM

lol im always listening to music, i just turn off the raido and turn on the music player while im doing anything important

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode