Chaos Dreadnoughts from forge world - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-09, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

cheesy's Flag is: Australia

Default Chaos Dreadnoughts from forge world

i was thinking of buying a chaos dreadnought but wasnt sure what weapons i should equip it with and what are some of the pros and cons of resin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-09, 10:42 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Great tutorial on resin which should be helpfull.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=16452

As far as weapon mounts go I'd say the best option would be a heavy bolter and close combat weapon. This is mainly so that you are less likly to kill you own models, that the other weapon load outs tend to encourage.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-09, 11:49 AM

World Eater XII's Flag is: United Kingdom

pure CC dreadnoughts are good fun!

Let the Galaxy Burn.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-09, 02:22 PM

qwertywraith's Flag is: Canada

I like heavy bolters and CC weapon, but prefer the Autocannon. It will also serve you well especially given the amount of skimmers and light transports I am seeing nowadays. Otherise, 2xCC weapons is a fair (and inexpensive) choice. Any other weapon loadout should only be taken to fill a desperately needed role, as the dread risks killing your own guys (and tanks) way too easily).

No Plasma Cannons! Ever. Seriously, don't do it. You are begging to be immobilized on turn one, where you will spend the next 1 in 3 turns flinging plasma blasts into your own men.

Really though, if you are playing a dread you are doing it for the look and prestige of having a forge world dread (I wonder when mine will arrive?).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-09, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

thanx for all the great ideas
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-09, 12:03 PM

Infael's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertywraith View Post
I like heavy bolters and CC weapon, but prefer the Autocannon. It will also serve you well especially given the amount of skimmers and light transports I am seeing nowadays. Otherise, 2xCC weapons is a fair (and inexpensive) choice. Any other weapon loadout should only be taken to fill a desperately needed role, as the dread risks killing your own guys (and tanks) way too easily).

No Plasma Cannons! Ever. Seriously, don't do it. You are begging to be immobilized on turn one, where you will spend the next 1 in 3 turns flinging plasma blasts into your own men.

Really though, if you are playing a dread you are doing it for the look and prestige of having a forge world dread (I wonder when mine will arrive?).
I use the 1980's Plasma Cannon Dread and the Forge World Lascannon Nurgle Dread and I have only really shot crap out of myself once, the lascannon one tearing an Obliterator a new one! The Plasma Cannon one Fire Frenzied next to my 'gap-filler' squad of Word Bearers (i'm pure Nurgle usually) in a different battle but as they started the game in cover (ready to advance behind the Dread or hold the position depending on what my opponent did) they only lost one man (with half the squad hit! Go go cover saves!) so it's not all doom and gloom if you prepare for it!
My advice to Fire Frenzy (if you love the random crazyness of Dreads like I do!) is start the game with a Spawn parked right next to them so if you do unfortunately Fire Frenzy then they blow the Spawn to crap (oh noes, you are well bothered...) and no real harm done (yeah, it's killing your side but who gives a shit as long as it's a Spawn and not your Chosen Termie squad tricked out to the nuts!)
I had the FW Nurgle Dread with TL Heavy Bolters for Xmas so I will be fielding that soon as well! 3 Dreads of crazyness!
Oh and pure CC Dreads are funny as hell! Do it! Guaranteed to mess your opponent up when you run at their line full-tilt roaring for blood!

Nurgle...grrrr...arrrgh...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-09, 06:41 PM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

If I was ever to make use of a CSM Dread again I think it would have a Missile Launcher and a DCCW. With the ML you can shoot Frag when it shoots you, which seems like the way to go, and Krak on the enemy

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-09, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

hmm i like the sound of close combat dreads and the missile launcher idea. tahnx for all the great ideas.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-09, 06:44 PM

Shadowvast's Flag is: USA

I own several of these, and they are a classy model. As is normal for a FW model the detail makes it worth the extra expense, especially now with currency conversion rates the way they are.

I have one with a multi melta/CC, one with twin CC, and a sonic version with a blast master. They all work well when you send them down a flank isolated, or run twin cc. I say have fun with 'em, the models make it worth it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode