New gretchin sprues- any difficulties? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-09, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Default New gretchin sprues- any difficulties?

Hello, I just purchased 3 boxes of the new gretchin, and would like to share my thoughts.

The gretchin body with the double-handed blasta(pointing up) is incredibly difficult to remove from the sprue without ruining the intriquet toes. This is because foot and sprue merge into one AT the detail of the toes.

Furthermore, on one of my sprues, the cheeky cunning looking head with the helment(twisted-like expression) was warped and absolutely useless. It's no longer a gretchin head and now has more resemblance to a nurgle possessed marine. I was contemplating taking it back to my stockist, but reasoned I had already built several using the sprues and it wasnt worth it. I just hope I don't need this head later on.

The rest of the sprue is ok, just the one head.

Gretchin by nature are difficult to model with, due to their size, and removing mould lines off the critters is a nightmare...

Don't get me wrong, the nobs box I bought last week is seriously impressive, and I put it up there with sliced bread. Same with lootas/burnas, no probs. But these gretchins appear to of been cramped to fit on two miniscule sprues, and as such, are prone to issues.

Anyone found the same thing? Also, anyone had similar frustrating thoughts before regarding a specific kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-09, 08:43 AM

keytag33's Flag is: Canada

Can't say as I have. One thing that I've found to work with small fiddly bits and hard to remove bits from sprues, is to use a candle wick trimmer. My GF got one and I "borrowed" it.
Never use it on metal though it's tiny clipper jaws just can't take it

Virtutis gloria merces

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair. - Douglas Adams

It's a knife for gods sake, what you been useing to keep your fork company all these years, sharp side, blunt side, what you want a lesson? - Bullet Tooth Tony
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-09, 11:59 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

A quick word of advise on faulty parts from GW. They will normally replace faulty sprues, if you just give them a call.

I agreed with some kits the mould lines can be a real pain to remove. The biggest culprit I have found are Knoblers from Orge Kingdoms. I now have a very small blade for one of my scalpel handles that I just use for difficult to remove mould lines.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode