Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Finished Chaos Warrior Champion

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Tankworks 
#1 ·
Aside from the snow base, this is the first finished model of my Warriors and it shows how the entire army is going to look. Still keeping with the grim, gritty, and realistic look for the models but with a couple slight embellishments on the shield to show off the Chaos influence a bit.

C&C as always is appreciated and welcome.

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey Wraith, looks pretty good man! Asside from the statements above I gotta add that there is no detail work that really stands out here. To me he looks like a brown blob and not a man. I only say this because it doesn't look like there was any highlighting on the armour of the figure. That aside, the cloak looks good, could have used a better transition to the red. But maybe that's just my taste? Still above table top quality for sure man... Still love the look of those knights!!! Can't wait to see more!

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys.

Horus: I tried something a bit different for these guys as opposed to the knights. With the Knights, I 'wetbrushed' the main colour for the armour on and then went to the washing stage and with these I painted it right on instead. I think the wetbrushing allowed for greater highlights on the edges than the even coat and is the way I will be going with the next squad and the rest of the army for sure. The problem with this paint scheme is that I am trying to avoid the bright, standout highlights that we are all used to seeing on minis in order to go for the more realistic look. When you think about it, in RL nothing has these bright, bright highlights on it unless exposed to direct light at a specific angle and even then it will only be at certain points of the object, not all over the place. I think that the usual style of painting looks good but lends itself to an overpainted and cartoony look that I have been slowly getting tired of and this culminates with NMM which is that absolute rage right now (why I will never know as I HATE nmm with a passion).

In order to try out something a little different and more realistic I have been deliberately NOT painting the normal highlights on the models, instead allowing light to highlight the model naturally, as it should. This works better with metallics than normal paints obviously as the metallic flakes pick up the light far more than with regular paints. Unfortunately, the full effect of these models is somewhat lost in pics as opposed to looking directly at the model which look far better in person. If he reads this, Damned Fist can verify that as he has seen the knights in person and has told me the same thing regarding the pics vs in person.

Cabbage: it is just the pic, the arm is the same colour as the rest of the armour.

#9 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

In order to try out something a little different and more realistic I have been deliberately NOT painting the normal highlights on the models, instead allowing light to highlight the model naturally, as it should. This works better with metallics than normal paints obviously as the metallic flakes pick up the light far more than with regular paints. Unfortunately, the full effect of these models is somewhat lost in pics as opposed to looking directly at the model which look far better in person. If he reads this, Damned Fist can verify that as he has seen the knights in person and has told me the same thing regarding the pics vs in person.

I hate trying to show what the minis look like through online photos. The pics NEVER do them justice. That being said I can attest to the fact that Wraith's Knights look far better in person. Personally, I think that they are his best work to date..., I just wish that you could see these in hand so that you can appreciate how good they are.:victory:

#8 ·
Wraith: I can fully attest to the models looking better in person! I understand what you mean about a realistic version, as I too don't really like the cartoony look some results achieve! I do think however, that the realism can be achieved with a realistic transitional colour for a highlight. I am pretty sure that is what you have here as I can faintly see it. The pics do take away from the overall appearance of a fig IRL. Still does look good on this end though!

#10 ·
Looks good to me if only a bit subdued but that is probably due to the lighting. Sometimes a semi-gloss on the metals and even the leather will make more of a contrast between them and the cloth and give natural high-lights instead of having to paint them on. I am also in favour of letting the light cause the high-lights and shadows naturally. We are working on 3D models and should not have to paint as though we were doing a painting on canvas. (I can attest to the fact that not everyone agrees but that is what makes a hobby interesting, differing methods to arrive at a pleasing result)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.