SM Knights of Terra (PIC HEAVY) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-08, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

lav25gunner's Flag is: USA

Default SM Knights of Terra (NEW PICS)

Hello everyone. This is my Space Marine army so far. It's based as a second founding of the Ultramarines, and thus have the same color scheme. I have my entire 5500 point army, but so far i've only painted 41 Marines. I was in the Marines, so my army sports a Marine Corps EGA (eagle, globe & anchor) emblem. In keeping with the 'knights' motif I designed my own banner that I will attempt to print into a water slide decal, since I can't paint worth spit. In the banner you'll see that I've used a coat of arms with the EGA on the shield. You'll also see my USMC rank as well as all my awards. First picture you'll see is the concept art for my Marines, second is the banner, followed by pics of how I paint my guys and last some of my Marines. Enjoy.

I'm open to color scheme suggestions on the banner.

A few people asked about my painting, so here's how I do my guys. 1) Trim 5 marines figures at one time. 2) glue the torso to the the legs of all figures, and glue the other pieces to sprues. 3) prime all pieces. 4) paint all the pieces the primary color. (don't worry about joints, it's faster and easier to go over the joints with black paint or ink than to try to avoid them with your armor paint) 5) take all pieces that contain the same color and paint them all with that color. (paint all the eyes red and anything else that's red all at once to save on paint and time.) 6) glue all the pieces together and take pics of your work.

I know. I'm over complicating it, but I'm new. I can't paint a figure in 20 minutes and make it look [email protected]$$ like some of the vets out there. It still takes me like 3 hours to do one guy. So until i can color inside the lines, I'll do it like this for a while. ;)

Here are a few of my guys. I'll post more pics as I paint more squads. Notice the "worn in" power fists on my assault squad. For my flame trooper, I used a torch from Warhammer Empire Flagellants Warband set.

Last edited by lav25gunner; 08-19-09 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-08, 09:38 PM

Dr.Mercury's Flag is: USA

Not a bad looking group of marines!
I especially like the flamer, although he could use some sourced lighting effects to make him look really cool!
Only critique would be to try to blend your highlights a bit, as opposed to the pure "line" of highlighting.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-08, 09:43 PM

What do you mean you cant pain worht spit? I couldnt do it that well if I DID take 3 hours. These guys are AWSOME! I like the flamer with the flames. Do you have more fluff? Named charictors? (Things for a diferent section, but I'm currious)

Also, Welcome to heresy.

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-08, 09:46 PM
Ste

Ste's Flag is: United Kingdom

brilliant mate :D keep it up +Rep
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-08, 11:37 PM

jaren's Flag is: USA

nice on the painting, keep up the good work and always take as long as you feel you need. and your chapter would be considered 2nd founding as that the 1st founding is the original legions. but other than that good work.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-08, 11:46 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

For early steps into painting, you're off to a great start! If you want to tidy up the highlights, since you're using only a single stage highlight, you might want to try giving the model a light wash of asurmen blue (GW's blue wash.) It'll help blend the highlight in with the basecoat, so the highlights won't be as exaggerated. A very light drybrush of mithril silver on the edges of the gold bits will really bring out their detail, as well.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-08, 12:04 AM

good on you they look great keep up the good work
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-08, 12:08 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Very nice looking, good luck on the decals. I have never printed them off but I am sure you ask around you can find some people who have.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-08, 01:21 AM

Pherion's Flag is: USA

These look really good for starting off. They look better than some of my early stuff.

I would suggest either a highlight, or a wash on the metals, maybe both. Try a brown wash on the gold (I use the OLD chestnut ink), and a black wash on the silvers. It will fill in the crevices and give you more depth.

My WIPs

WikiPaint - Come help us build a comprehensive hobby Wiki!!!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-08, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

lav25gunner's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Schafer View Post
What do you mean you cant pain worht spit? I couldnt do it that well if I DID take 3 hours. These guys are AWSOME! I like the flamer with the flames. Do you have more fluff? Named charictors? (Things for a diferent section, but I'm currious)

Also, Welcome to heresy.
I meant that I couldn't paint a banner unless my Chapter emblem was a happy face. I've seen some amazing banners out there. I'll be about 4 years before I'm good enough to paint my own banner. And, no. No more fluff yet, just a basic general idea.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode