First time painting models, looking for opinions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-18, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Monomo's Flag is: Poland

As I said in my introduction topic I am completely new to painting models so I started with Citadel learning kit. I've just finished painting my first ultramarine with paints and brush from said set. On top I put satine coat getting beautiful visualisation of why I should never use that damn thing again. If you can see anything under the SHINE I'd really appreciate your tips before I move on to next boys. Is paint thin enough? I think I used too much wash and should find smaller brush for details.
I should note I am aiming for hobby/display quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180217_182420_1518901947341.jpg (392.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180217_182557_1518901970258.jpg (239.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180217_182711_1518901978636.jpg (313.3 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-18, 08:00 PM

The coat of blue on the two bottom ultramarines is just right it seems. It looks smooth and even and its not obscuring the models detail, so it seems you thinned the paint just right. As far as using that satin varnish, you should know that spray can varnish can be very temperamental depending on certain factors like room temperature, humdity or overall due point. Especially if using GW old purity seal. I'd recommend testors dullcoate since that one tends to work better despite high temp/ humidity.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-18, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Monomo's Flag is: Poland

Thanks, I never would thought a climate can play a role in it :O

Also I made quite a stupid experiment today that actually worked :D it seems that you can dilute paint with drawing ink instead of water, and get beautiful and even new color. It covers model just as well as normal paint.

Last edited by Monomo; 02-18-18 at 11:21 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-18, 03:27 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Yeah, the shiny makes is difficult to judge. The wash was probably about right. Note wash CAN be applied in larger amounts, but it needs to be controlled so you get the effect you want - and it's important NOT to disturb it once it starts drying.

I see some evidence of highlights, but the varnish appears to have mostly eaten them. I'll second the recommendation of Testor's dullcoat, which gives a glorious matte coat. Though if you do go that route, remember that it will scratch the underlying layer - so best to toss a layer of 'normal' tough-as-nails glossy varnish on your paint job first for best results (you already have one of those!).

Paint thickness on the blue marines is... also annoying difficult to judge. Looking at the rightmost marine, I'd say it's fine if we look at his legs, but the detail on the eagle on his chest (and a bit his eyes) seems to have gotten filled in with paint. OTOH, he IS facing the camera so that might just be a trick of the light. Should be easy to tell for you though, especially once you put some wash on it

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in