WIP. First time painting. Tips welcome. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-17, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Default WIP. First time painting. Tips welcome.

Hi everyone. First time painting and posting. Any tips would be welcome and appreciated.

Left is with base and wash, Meph red and Carro wash. Right is first layer of Wazdakka.

I'm stuck on what to do next.
Evil sun scarlet on higher points, Astorath red drybrush, Troll Slayer super high points.

Or skip the Evil Sun, dry brush Astorath then Troll Slayer on the highest points.

I was trying to make them look as dark red as possible.

P.S - Sorry for the potato image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIP.jpg (324.8 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-17, 11:36 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Is this an army to play or to display? If it is to play with then you will have many more models to paint. If that is the case I would just go with a few basic highlights and maybe get real fancy with your Character models. At least until you have more painting under your belt.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-17, 01:30 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Try a few coats of a dark red wash, I use Army Painter paints mostly, its a bit time consuming but will give a nice dark effect, then highlight away, if you're New to painting try to keep things simple

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-17, 07:05 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Depending on what lvl of contrast you’re going for with the reds potentially you can get away with base paint, shade down with like agrax earth shade then dry brush your highlights then bring it all back together with the red wash.
If you’re going to use troll orange as a highlight make sure you keep it to a minimum otherwise the model can end up looking orange as opposed to red.
They look good so far.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-17, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

The models are for play, I have a fair amount of bloodletters to go through. I took some of the tips from here and from some videos online and tried to apply them.

This is what I came out with for a final / semi final bloodletter.

I did a light dry brush on the bumps and spine with Astorath to see if I could bring them out just a little bit. Added another wash of red and another light drybrush after.

Toenails I found hard to get a good gray color, I ended up using Eshen with Dawnstone highlight then washed with earthshade but it made it almost black again. So I just did a little white with another wash to tone it down.

The horns were probably the most difficult, I had no idea how to make them look good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIP #2.jpg (300.1 KB, 20 views)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-17, 03:49 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Looks great for a start! I've been a painted of red for a long time and can say without hesitation that it's a pain in the ass and that some of the orange-ish colours GW suggests just never work out the way I want them to. I will also add that highlighting black is just as brutally frustrating as shading white unless. My tips for getting a deep bloody red colour:

1) Base black.
2) 2/3 thin coats of Mephiston Red.
3) I like adding a wash of Agrax but will put Nuln Oil in the darker recesses or just use Nuln specifically if I'm looking for something even darker.
4) Reapply Mephiston Red to the parts you want lighter, stay out of the recesses. I use one coat largely and add the second coat in smaller areas to help with a gradient of Mephiston Red from darkest to one coat to two coats on the highest spot.
5) Use whatever orange is least offensive to your eyes on only the topmost or 'necessary for model details' spots. When I finally go to this spot I tend to use Wazdakka, but I rarely do for non character models. Even on character models it's so sparing that unless you're analyzing my paint job it's not immediately noticeable (in keeping to the dark red theme).
6) Bloodletter Glaze. I do this last to help tie my highlights together. It definitely mutes the highlighting I've done, and on rare occasion I'll go back in with my highlight colour and touch and edge here and there.

As for your toenails, I would say use less paint on your brush and hold it on an angle so you're using the side to lightly (but fairly quickly in one stroke) put the grey lines you want on there then wash it with Nuln Oil. If you want a gradient do two coats of your grey, the second localized to the brightest point pre-wash. I'd do the same thing for the horns really just to keep it simple. If you find your black wash takes your highlights down too far maybe do a teeeny tiny line of white down the middle of your highlight before washing it. I know it seems crazy impossible to get those fine lines and dots happening but it'll come with patience and repetition.

Side tip: if you mess something up immediately get your brush in water and use the water and clean brush to push away and clean off what you just did. You've got to give it a second to dry before going back in with more paint but holy smokes my painting got a lot faster when I started 'wet erasing' my mistakes as I made them. Infinite do-overs without chunking paint onto your model.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-18, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Been a while since I posted any update . Life has been busy so not much painting was done. I am getting close to completing this squad.
As always, any tips are appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (408.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (413.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (422.0 KB, 9 views)

Blood for the Blood GOD!

Last edited by StrykeRXL; 01-24-18 at 12:43 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-18, 03:34 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Looking good. These models can be tough because they don't provide a solid place for a contrasting color. See if you can work something up on the horns or maybe making the hands and feet glossy with either a red ink or 'blood for the blood God.'

When I painted a unit of these I blended the hands and feet. I did the whole guy red as you have, then painted the hands and feet black and built up to a gray. It provided just enough contrast and visual interest.

The mold lines also drove me to distraction. Especially in the heads and hands.

Best of luck!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in