Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Sculpting/molding advice please

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  ntaw 
#1 ·
Dear Heretics, Old Man once again looking to pic your knowledgeable brains, I'm looking to do some minor sculpting and moulding and wondering what gear is best for a nivice to use. I have used "blue stuff" to make moulds for shoulder pads to a degree of success, I am however looking for an alternative to "green stuff" which I find very difficult to work. I was looking at "magic sculpt", has anyone used it? My planned sculpts/molds wont be going beyond shoulder pads, rhino landraider doors, and symbols to on them. As always thanks in advance Old Man

#2 ·
What problems are you having with Kneadatite, and what tools do you currently use for sculpting? Lots of putties offer subtly different consistencies, work time, and finish texture/hardness but it's hard to say what will be of use if we don't know what's failing you.

I see that you're using blu stuff, have you checked out the tutorials on masteroftheforge.com pertaining to the product (both liquid and solid)?

#3 ·
I just find the kneadatite a bit too stiff and tacky and my skills are quite basic, so I'm looking for something with a softer consistency like a clay, that is why I was looking at "magic sculpt". The tools I'm using are just the citadel sculpting tool and some dental tools I managed to pick up, and I have seen the tutorials on masteroftheforge.com, I was just seeing if others had other tips

#6 · (Edited)
Straight up, sounds like you have to mix your putty differently. Think blue = hard stuff and yellow = soft stuff; I usually do about a 1:2 ratio of them depending on the application.

I have used Magic Sculpt, Apoxie Sculpt, Milliput (there's so many different types of this it's almost absurd), and Kneadatite. The softest and most workable of all those in my experience (and that of MotF, whose videos I based much of this knowledge on and are worth a re-watch if you missed these tidbits) is Kneadatite, so much to the point that I won't cast with it anymore as with too much blue it fights the mould and with too little it remains soft after curing.

Do you have some sort of silicone tipped clay shaper that is relatively stiff to help smooth things out? I tend to use my colour shaper (as it's called at the art store), hobby knife, and pointy dental pick most out of all the things I have. Either way keeping them and your putty wet the whole time is absolutely crucial. I will often as I'm working sort of pocket my remaining putty damp and in the palm of my left hand (the one often just holding the item being worked on). Did it once while at work out of necessity repairing some plaster moulding we were installing and the warmth of my hand kept it exceptionally pliable, now I do it as often as I can.

#9 ·
No worries pal, by all means post up with some new results when you get a chance. It's not like I never use other putties but depending on the application you can even mix different putties to try to get the best offerings of both in your final product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.