What paints do you use? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

View Poll Results: What Paints Do You Use?
Games Workshop 44 73.33%
Vallejo Game Colors 4 6.67%
Vallejo Model Colors 1 1.67%
Reaper Master Series 3 5.00%
Reaper Paints 0 0%
P3 (Privateer Press Paints) 0 0%
Testors 1 1.67%
Other 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 02:20 AM

Othiem's Flag is: USA

Almost entirely GW, the price difference really doesn't seem all that bad, and I'm happy with the quality of the paint. My biggest issue with GW is the bottles and how they leak while open, I swear I lose more paint than I use. Just picked up a few reaper master series paints, as GW didn't offer the shades of purple I was looking for. So far I'm loving them. Eyedropper heads make mixing with zero waste easy. The coverage is good, somewhere between the GW color and the foundation line. I'm sticking with the GW washes and foundation, but my colors are definitely going to start moving to Reaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Wow I am shocked with the number of GW paints in use. Vallejo also use the dropper style bottles FYI. I mainly use Vallejo but TBH I use the GW Foundations and Washes and P3 inks!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 07:20 AM
Mohawk-Wearing Crazyman

ACoz's Flag is: USA

I put in a vote for Reaper Master Series, as I'm weening myself off of my Only-GW-Paint addiction, and RMS is the best stuff I've gotten my hands on.

Huge fan of the 'Triad' blisters they do, becasue I'm lazy and don't much care for mixing up highlight or shading colors, so if they do it for me, I'm all about it.

PS: Had to add that the Reaper Master Series does the absolute BEST Khaki paints I've ever found to date.

[Edited to add product testimonial]

'At two minutes to eleven, opposite the South African Brigade, at the eastern-most point reached by the British armies, a German machine-gunner, after firing off a belt without pause, was seen to stand up beside his weapon, take off his helmet, bow, and then slowly walk to the rear.' -John Buchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchimpster View Post
I can't help but think that every time something is proven, a little bit of the magic of the world dies.

Last edited by ACoz; 11-16-08 at 07:22 AM.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 07:35 AM

Othiem's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
Wow I am shocked with the number of GW paints in use. Vallejo also use the dropper style bottles FYI. I mainly use Vallejo but TBH I use the GW Foundations and Washes and P3 inks!
Codex placement imo, GW paints are the path of least resistance. What color do I get for my Space Wolves? Space Wolves grey. How bout my tau? Tau Sept Ochre. When you're getting into the hobby you've got about 50 different decisions tossed at you, having somebody make one of them for you is nice, and from there it's all inertia.

But like Acoz says, when you start getting better at painting and doing more shading type things, the RMS triads are the best thing ever for peace of mind.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 09:20 AM
moo

moo's Flag is: United Kingdom

I use GW paints mostly but i have some vallejo i use for when im doing blacks and whites, since they give a smoother colour in the end as their paints have a better pigment. Although if i dont think a certain GW paint is going on smoothly i use aerocolour paints as supplements to the GW which also helps the consistency of the paint for a smoother effect. I think if i had better access to paints i wouldn't use GW.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 09:43 AM

jordan_darko's Flag is: England

I use the reaper master series which i highly reccomend and I occasionally use vallejo range now and again the only GW's based ones I use are the citadel washes.

" YOU ARE MY UNBROKEN BLADES , YOU ARE THE DEATH GUARD ! "
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 02:07 PM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

I use mostly Vallejo and GW stuff, I prefer the Vallejo bottles but find that some of their paints can be a nuisance to mix up, whereas GW paints tend to dry out too easily, but their washes and foundation paints are good. I think my next load of paints will likely be testing out the Reaper series that people have mentioned.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 02:13 PM

Wolfblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othiem View Post
Codex placement imo, GW paints are the path of least resistance. What color do I get for my Space Wolves? Space Wolves grey. How bout my tau? Tau Sept Ochre.
I actually disagree quite strongly. I can't think of anything more boring than everyone's armies being exactly the same colour. My Space Wolves are far darker than the usual.

I generally use a mixture of paints. I use Vallejo mostly, I guess, but I like the GW foundation paints too.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 02:16 PM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula86 View Post
The cheap amateur bastard that I am, I proudly use Delta Ceramacoat paints.. Nice and cheap and plentiful, and for me they get the job done!
My thoughts exactly! Delta for the win!

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 02:32 PM

general's Flag is: United Kingdom

I use GW. Dunno about quality compared to other paints, but I'm happy with the results I get from GW. I do have one pot of tamyia acrylic, as GW stopped doing brazen brass.

A chain axe is the best way to win an argument.

Descent into madness - generals 40K Chaos log - my chaos space marine project log : https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=63641

A gamers tale - my tau project log : https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=43171

An ostermark empire army log - my empire project log - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=64918

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode