Memorable hobby mistakes - A Legion Moritat Story - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Spoticus's Flag is: USA

Default Memorable hobby mistakes - A Legion Moritat Story

Steve here, with a fun start to the weekend by asking a fun question: What are some of your best hobby mistakes? This is a light-hearted post.

The premise here is that I was in the middle of destroying one of my new Legion Moritats that I bought from Forgeworld (link) and I grew nostalgic thinking about all of the models I have screwed up in the last year or so. Sad at the time, but fun to think about now.

Below are some of my recent failures, what are some of your recent hobby fails?

Blog post here: Fortress Erioch: Our most memorable hobby mistakes - A Legion Moritat Story

The Legion Moritat

The Legion Moritats recently released by Forgeworld have such a great look to them as gunslingers. Rules aside, these are amazing models. I pre-ordered both types and they came in the mail recently. They will join my Blood Angels army (which sadly is mostly unassembled).

The fail with these models is that the ammo lines that connect the guns to the power armor are straight pieces of resin and fairly brittle. While I was successful in heating and bending the plasma pistol wielding Moritat, I did not have enough patience with the Volkite wielding Moritat and it broke in several places on along these ammo feeds. Now I am left shaving and molding green stuff that I used to attach the lines. Green stuff is still magic to me in the hobby, so this worries me.

They still do look awesome though!

Captain Centos

I was in line to pick up Captain Centos on release day and I was very excited. He was actually affordable. He is a good looking model, though he is a bit static in his stance.

The fail with our good captain here is when I got home and began to assemble him, I lost one of his arms. This was almost immediate, and only magic or the divine could have lost a piece this quickly and completely. Very odd and silly.

He will now take his place as a sergeant in one of my tactical squads. I will still name him Centos.

Tau Drones

Last but not least was my first set of Tau drones. I do not collect Tau, but had a squad of fire warriors made from the Kill Team box. I personalized each fire warrior and was really happy with the start of that kill team. The fail is when I glued the guns on to the drones backwards because I was not clearly looking at the direction of the antennae on the top of the drones. I had to cut them off and re-glue them on - almost straight.

Wrap Up

I will not mention go into detail about gluing every Land Raider front door shut by accident. What are your best hobby blunders? There has to be more out there than just me? Right? Right?

I look forward to hearing about them from you. Have a great night!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Legion-Moritat-Assembled-3.jpg (400.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Legion-Moritat-assembled-2.jpg (376.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Legion-Moritat-assembled-1.jpg (279.2 KB, 4 views)

"The Master said, (the good man) does not grieve that other people do not recognize his merits. His only anxiety is lest he should fail to recognize theirs." - Confucius - The Analects

Fortress Erioch - my wargaming blog

Last edited by Spoticus; 05-07-17 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Title is too long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 09:32 AM

Entarion's Flag is: Czech Republic

Good topic. I have many stories like that but the most common one is that when I am building/painting some more complex model I manage to drop it every time and break it in the process. Sometimes several times.

Remember my nice Centurion ? Yes, so I had him almost finished and he fell from my hands and broke into several pieces. Even one of those ammo belts broke! Fortunately, I managed to glue it together without a problem. But still "i cri evrytim"

About loosing the parts. I once lost dread arm with AC. I bought new one and almost year and half later I've have found that arm by a chance.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 12:14 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hmm. I'm not sure I have one where the problem was related to the model. Most of my "hobby fails" involve accidentally cutting myself with an exacto blade.

Not my story, but I had a friend at my FLGS who accidentally splashed superglue in his eye. He used too much glue when attaching a ram bar or dozer blade to a rhino. He had his face to close and squeezed the parts together and the glue squirted out.

Probably my closest was trying straighten a bent daemon sword on a metal Rogue Trader era chaos terminator captain. They had these fiddly holes above the hilt and it got bent in the package. I tried to gently bend it back into shape and it snapped off. I had to drill into the handle and the blade and pin/ glue/ putty them back together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

That is the second story I have heard about super glue in the eye. Thanks for the comment.

The last thing I would want to be doing is pinning something as small as a sword. I remember doing that with my Shining Spears. Not fun at all.

"The Master said, (the good man) does not grieve that other people do not recognize his merits. His only anxiety is lest he should fail to recognize theirs." - Confucius - The Analects

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

As for the Centurion in Entarion's post - a piece that large must break in an especially spectacular way. At least that model has a story now - like an special character. I am glad you were able to get him back together.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Tags
30k , 40k , hobby , modelling , warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode