My first model in 12 years! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-16, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Default My first model in 12 years!

I had a strange urge to buy and paint a model as I was walking past my local GW.
The next thing I knew, I was walking out of the store with the sexy new Ahriman model. Now, as I haven't painted anything in over a decade, nor do I intend on collecting any armies, I really didn't want to have to shell out big money on the overly expensive GW range of paints. As I paint a lot anyway and have a reasonable selection of artists acrylics at home, I decided to those. I had read on forums that normal artists acrylics work fine on miniatures.

Well...they don't. I need to apply at least 2 coats to get anywhere near a decent pigment and even with a primer the paint just slides off. My acrylics are not high end, but they are certainly not cheap either. They're a good standard acrylic with a good pigment. Why they come out so poorly on the model is beyond me.

So right now Ahriman is still mostly sprued up and primed and it will likely stay that way until I either buy new paints or find a way to make my acrylics work. :-(

Also, I have decided to go for a slightly different colour scheme with him, which is made all the more difficult by this paint issue.

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-16, 04:48 AM

ExaltedUrizen's Flag is: Australia

Yeah I have tried out various different paints on GW miniatures, but for some reason the standard GW paints work so much better on them. I gave up after trying to paint a heldrake, it just took far too long.

"That which we foolishly call truth is only a small island in a vast sea of the unknown. For man to truly flourish, he must be willing to abandon the ever-shrinking island of such petty 'truth' and surrender himself to the reality of that which is beyond."

Dark Apostle Erebus, architect of the Horus Heresy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-16, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

I'm still working on it, but the quality is piss poor. The pigments are shit and the texture of the paint is hardly smooth. I'll post a picture when I eventually finish it.

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-16, 03:34 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

If you post a pic of your WIP we (the various membership of Heresy) may be able to help out. A total problem to one might have been encountered and sorted out by another; for example one look and I would likely know exactly how much you thin your paints if that were an issue. It took my years to actually thin my paints down enough and apply (at times) several coats to achieve a smooth finish despite reading it over and over on forums and in tutorials. Some paints like water for that, some like another medium for that application (for example, GW's Lahmian Medium) that doesn't dilute the pigment of the paint but still allows it to run smoother.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode