First setup looking not so great? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-15, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Lord Lucian's Flag is: USA

Default First setup looking not so great?

SO, I"ve been painting oon my dark vengeance setup and these suckers look alright from afar but nothing like alot of the talented people on heres. I assume everyone has this happen, but what are some essential gear to have around to hellp, ie. thinner brushes, shades? I like the way they look i just feel they can look better. I apologise if this is basically a repost, I just need some help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-15, 06:56 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

Everyone starts somewhere, got any pictures?
There are loads of great tutorials and advice online, I listen to various different sources and pick and choose some ideas over others.
Probably the best advice I have, and what has helped me enormously with motivation, is online competitions. Having targets in a monthly army painting competition, or even putting up your paint jobs in death matches etc will help motivate to get the job done. I try and get at least one unit a month done. But then my army is orks, and it's huge.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-15, 03:41 PM
General Eric's Flag is: USA

The Dark Vengeance set has some pretty articulate models, the last box set "Black Reach" came with stock space marines and orks and was nothing to get these guys looking decent. That said there is a lot of room to get detailed in DV set and the pics you see on the box are some of the best stuff.

Here are a few tips I learned in my painting from trial and error.

1. One color is never one color, ie. Dark Angels are Dark Angels green but dry brushing or shading with goblin green makes the color pop. Rule is every color has a darker and lighter shade to compliment it and that is the first thing you will learn if you have not all ready.

2. Like the advice above, look and see what other people are doing to paint there armies and apply that to yours less your unique changes.

3. Create a uniform look, do a few test models and pick one you like> document the process (step 1 black, step 2 dark angels green, etc.) and begin to paint one by one or "production line style" grab 10 models do 1 step at a time with each.

4. Washes - dont underestimate the power of wash, this is used to give a highlight in the recess of a models groves and some say it is cheating because if used correctly can make a model look 10x better.

Lastly, have fun. If your not excited when the paint goes from brush to model and are just painting to get them done..people can tell and you will be able to tell. Give your self a nice window of a few hours when all is calm and knock out a few models and take a break. Hope this gives some ideas and helps.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-15, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Right on, I bought the base paint set from citadel it came with wagh green but no dark angels green .maybe I can pick it up next week? I will post some pictures later
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-15, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Icon Here are a couple pieces

[attach]Bike.jpg[/attach]
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-15, 10:11 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Nothing wrong with those mate. Colours are good, and the work is tidy. That's all you need for a good start. Everybody starts somewhere - except @Nordicus who is a git - so keep chugging away and you'll pick up tips and tricks as you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-15, 06:06 PM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

I agree, nice and neat which is the main thing at the beginning.
Do you thin your paints? Adding a little water or acrylic thinners will help the paint go on nice and smooth.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-15, 08:07 PM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

I have found that if you just do a YouTube search for "how to paint (insert model)" you'll find several tutorials that are really helpful for ideas, even if you don't want to use their color scheme. I'm right there with General Eric, though, washes and detail highlights really make a difference.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-15, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Squared View Post
I agree, nice and neat which is the main thing at the beginning.
Do you thin your paints? Adding a little water or acrylic thinners will help the paint go on nice and smooth.
Would I do that by mixing in a bottle cap or something? If so is it possible to make new colors with what i have? Like in kindergarten, red + yellow = orange? Cause that would be helpful. I'm about to scour youtube, for some painting videos.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-15, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Really appreciate the compliments fellas, reassures me I'm not in over my head

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode