WIP - Techmarine + Tutorials. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
moo

moo's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default WIP - Techmarine + Tutorials.

Ok so keeping in line with my marine phase and trying out different techniques, i was asked to write a tutorial for how i painted my blue armour. I thought i'd try it with red on the techmarines armour.

Firstly was a watered base colour of scab red trying to leave the darker areas with as much black base colour as i could.

Then following the thin layers of scab red i added slightly more thin layers of scab red to the edges and the highlighted areas. Following this i added some blood red to my palette. Successive thin layers to the lighter areas.

After this i did pure blood red watered down and following even smaller areas of the red. Normally at this stage i used to stop but i know my painting needs more contrast so i added some bleached bone to the mix. The thin layers around the top of the knee pad and the top part of the armour.

Then finally some cleaning up of the blend using some watered down red wash and reapplying some of the bleach bone and blood red mix gave me my final look.

I hope this is helpful to people, any comments and criticisms are welcome. I've not finished the base btw ;) i always like doing the base partially in case i get some other paint on it, but i like having a feel of the atmosphere with a model so i do the base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 11:46 PM

surreal-mind's Flag is: Australia

awesome, will come in handy for my army :3

Seven, That is all.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-18-08, 03:02 PM

kungfoomasta's Flag is: USA

very nice and if you happen to have finished the marine i would like to see the finished product. it will look really good when its done

Never doubt the incompetence of your commisar.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-18-08, 10:51 PM

Damned Fist's Flag is: Canada

Excellent. I'm glad that you added your NMM talent to the tutorial forum. The one thing that you may want to add, however, is how you determine where your highlights are going to be. Light source is very important for this technique to work right so perhaps you can comment??

Great stuff Moo.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-18-08, 11:05 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

This is brilliant. I can't wait to try it out.

How many different layers did you do? And do you have any ideas over what colours I could use for gold? I'm getting sick of Tin Bitz, Shining Gold/Tin Bitz, Shining Gold, Shining Gold/Burnished Gold, Burnished Gold, Flesh Wash, Burnished Gold drybrush, Mithril silver drybrush. Something close to that would be helpful - NMM is amazing, but haven't had much success on my own. But the Royal Blue and Red you've just shown has really encouraged me to make a start. Thanks for the boost, once again - +Rep.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-18-08, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
moo

moo's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thanks for the comments:

@kungfoomasta i will be finishing this model so keep your eye on this thread ;).

@Damned Fist, you're right i apologise about the lack of detail in this tutorial, i've never really done anything like this before. I guess when you've been doing for over a year you kinda lose the fact of how you visualise things.

@ Vaz, in general each stage was about 5-6 layers, the mid layers using blood red took a few more as i had to build up the colour. Also to tidy things up after i had done the main of the colour, that usually adds another 5 layers or so, so in total its about 30-40 layers on each area. For example the knee pad takes extra layers due to higher contrasts.

With the highlights on nmm, i always visualise an imaginery light source or two from certain points on a model, in this case i looked at it using the corner of the base. Now all highlights will come from that one area, and the light in general travels in straight lines. The edges of armour in general pick up the lightest areas. When i first started doing nmm i spent hours and hours looking at other models and also "googling" pictures with shining metallic surfaces such as looking at bikes and cars etc. A key point with NMM is getting the blends smooth and in a small area to move from dark to light blends. Im not really sure how much of this makes sense, but in my mind it does lol. I will do two more followup tutorials on this techmarine for you all to see, one will be on steel NMM and the other is gold NMM, this will give you an idea of what to do with colours and spread of highlighting i hope .

Still need work on the wires trailing in front of his legs and add some shading to the skull and some writing on the little scrolls above the leg. I like the model, its all so detailed, so it should keep me busy painting.

Anyway no more updates until next month for now, i'll be across the world in Hong Kong for a while :D so enjoy the wip :D
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-08, 02:04 AM

moo im sending you my army and your painting it no questions but seriously sweet job moo your painting doesnt fail to impress
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-08, 09:49 AM
Who the hell is LVix?

LVix's Flag is: Great Britain

Now that is a way of highlighting armour I never thought of doing. Thanks for reminding me how rounded surfaces reflect light; kind of feel stupid myself for forgetting that basic principle of light.

Come to Heresy's very own Warhammer Fantasy Battle forum!

Syph - My, it's hard to talk 3D isn't it?! -

Tzeentch... the god all the girls follow!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-08, 06:16 PM

jordan_darko's Flag is: England

Damn moo that blending is sublime and i love your style of natual highlighting amazing as usual. keep it up dude. JD
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-08, 12:54 PM

That looks amazing! Thanks for the tutorial its a lot easier to follow than a lot of other tutorials.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode