An almighty battle.... (of chess) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Default An almighty battle.... (of chess)

Hey guys,

My Emperor's Spears Vs WE's diorama is coming along swimmingly and i am just waiting on some materials so i thought i would share my ideas for my next project with you.

Last year my Dad asked for a chessboard for his birthday but unfortunately didn't get one so i thought i would make one for him this year!, i saw one a while back and always wanted to give it a go

The board will see those damn emperor's children pitted against a yet unamed chapter. I will however be writing fluff for them as this project progresses. Below you can see my ideas for colour schemes:

As you can see i have gone for a very promenant black vs white theme that you see with a lot of chessboards, i wanted the loyalists to look unwaveringly bound to the good of mankind with their gleaming plate, abundance of purity seals and very visable markings of the Emperor (which will be golden). I have used this however to portray in a way what the emperor's children used to represent with their proud use of the aquila and almost pompous demeiner.

The EC will however be covered in Slaanesh markings and not the imperial eagle at all, i have also moved away from the black/pink themes that you see alot of (personally i am not a fan) and have tried to keep it similar to their pre-heresy colour, although the armour will be an extremely almost black version of purple.

As for the modelling all pieces will be running towards eachother with no pieces in a stationary position, i really want to portray how much both sides hate eachother and love the idea that they are charging to rip apart the enemy. I am also undecided on a basing theme as of yet so any ideas would be helpful.

As for the pieces here are the ideas i have so far:

Space marine force:

Pawns - Tactical squad (all running, heavy use of bolters, no power weapons etc)
Rooks - Terminators (heavily adorned with a greater use of gold)
Knights - Assault marines (as they can jump over other pieces )
Bishops - Chaplains (only minimal parts of their armour will be black to keep the white theme)
Queen - Unsure as of yet but possibly a Librarian (with force staff covered heavily in purity seals)
King - Will be using Captain Lysander as a base but will be changed alot/ or The master of the recruits model also changed alot

Emperor's Children:

Pawns - Squad of noise marines (not to much noisey stuff though lol, also running, minimal use of 'trophies'
Rooks - Again terminators (sonic weapons as their main arsenal, heavy use of 'trophies'
Knights - Chaos raptors
Bishops - Sorcerers (unsure if i like the gw models for these so may convert my own)
Queen - The masque, Eternal dancer of Slaanesh
King - Chaos lord with jump pack (although he wont have a jump pack, instead he will have a speaker unit which is so powerful he will be floating on its energy)

This is just a rough outline and basic ideas for my project, as ever any ideas are greatly appreciated, criticisms too as they help just as much

- tal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 11:53 AM

surreal-mind's Flag is: Australia

cool sounds good, i cant wait to see the pics =D

Seven, That is all.
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 12:06 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Now I like you idea. How are you going to do the board itself?

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 01:38 PM
Grey Knight Converter

asianavatar's Flag is: Canada

Sounds like a great idea, just a suggestion.

Kings on a chess board are very important but aren't very powerful pieces. I think they would be better represented with a basic marine in charge of a standard. The chaos lord and SM captain would fit more of the queen's role on the chessboard, offensive strong pieces.

I used to roll the dice, Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Quote:
I'm afraid there's no authoritative source for thinking you're an asshole
Aramoro
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys

asianavatar: it's funny i see it in a different way. The King is a king because has earned that position, his role may not be full of much movement, but it is he who leads. With a space marine lord/ chapter master it is the same, he is a figurehead to aspire to. They are very powerful pieces because as soon as you get near him he will bite ya in half . I really like the banner idea but i don't think it is a king, to me it is a reminder of why you are fighting, where as the King/lord/master is much more than that.

I think i've gone off the point a bit there havn't i? lol!

I also see the 'queen' as the kings right hand man/lady, who does their masters bidding, and there fore takes a much more promenant role, darting all over the bloody place looking after everything.

humakt: The board is not yet made but my granddad has kindly said he will make it for me, i just told him what my ideas were for colours, models, themes etc etc, and he just said "leave it to me"

- tal
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 04:05 PM
Grey Knight Converter

@taLLis

Humm, okie maybe not just a basic marine, but a commander or hero who is in charge of the banner. He leads the army with the banner and to lose it would be a tragic loss, so it must be protected, but if you get close he can still take care of himself. Having a space marine tooled up ready for battle or a chaos lord with a jump pack shouts run out and kill instead of the stay in the army and hold the line which fits the King more. Just my opinion

A cool board would be a glass board with the black squares etched sitting over some terrain, like static grass or a battlefield. So from above it looks like they are actually on a battlefield. Not sure how you could do it though haha.

Quote:
Aramoro
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 05:22 PM
Painting Munky style!

Munky's Flag is: England

this is sounding like a really cool idea, cant wait to see more progress
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

thanks munky, i should have some progress up soon

asianavatar: i see what you mean now mate, and i think its a very good idea, almost combining our two ideas , its like the commander takes it upon himself to be the bearer of this sacred Artifact of the chapter, because he believes it to be of too much value to lose. The idea re-enforces the idea of superiority that i brought up before.

Good stuff!

- tal
post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

An idea a had for one of my assault (knights)

Thinking about having him in mid air, sweeping down. he's not stuck together yet and also not the final product.

Any ideas for this guy would be great.

have been making progress will the tactical squad (pawns) too but am missing certain parts to finish them off, hopefully will be getting them today and then will post.

- tal
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 02:27 PM
Grey Knight Converter

How about a flying pose with the marine aiming his sword down like he is about to plunge it into someone.

To keep it up there, a clear or black rod in the backpack would be the way I would do it.

Quote:
Aramoro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode