Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Horns and Hair tufts and Basing: EC

491 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  falcoso 
#1 ·
Hi guys! First off i just want to say that this is an amazing online community, and I have never felt like I belong to a fourm before , but you are all so welcoming that I feel like I belong to this one, so thanks for that!

Also i have a question, I am painting some Emperors children, standered GW scheme, i am following TheApatheticFish's (Great painting tutorials BTW) guide to painting. Anyway, how do you fellow forum members paint your chaos marines horns and hair tufts?

Also, what are some good ideas for basing my slaanesh marines, Nurgle was easy i just used dead grass, and i cant do my flayed human skin conversion with greenstuff to base them ( takes too long to use on rank and file) So what do you heretics suggest for EC basing?

#2 ·
and i cant do my flayed human skin conversion with greenstuff to base them ( takes too long to use on rank and file)
First off, I want to see what this looks like (because it could be the coolest, and I need to know :grin:).

Secondly, have you ever thought of doing custom bases and making a simple push mold of them for replication on other bases? Even if you do 6 cool looking bases that were fairly simple you could add little things to each model to make them look a little more unique. Two part silicone putty used for push molds is probably some of the easiest stuff I've ever done on the 'building models' side of the hobby.

#3 ·
Never really had the need to paint hair, being an Iron warriors person myself. But for the horns, base black, then scorched brown (old GW) over 90%, bestial brown (Old GW) over 70% and highlight over scorched brown bits, Balor Brown (new gw) 50% and highlight of down to about half the scorched brow, ushabti bone (new GW) 30% then highlight about 60%, then white highlight.

For ribbed horns each layer covers less and less of the horns until it gets to just the edges and the tops of the horns being painted white (hence the percentages of the horns covered in said colour). For the more smooth horns I generally tend to start at the base and draw it down the horn to creat like a spike patters that as each colour buils up creates the different tones of the horns (most smooth horns have this effect if you look at anything on the GW site).

This scheme does created a more dirty looking horn so not 100% sure how it would work on emperor's children.

As for the basing I just paint sand scorched brown, then dry brush Bestial Brown, bubonic brown (old GW) and then a light drybrush of ushabti bone with a bit of static grass. Then for characters I might stick a bit of scrap metal in it of a resin part.

Hope that helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.