How are these highlights looking?. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-15, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Default How are these highlights looking?.

Hey heretics, do these look alright?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (483.0 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-15, 11:16 PM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

The metallic edge highlights look great, nice job.
Are you going for a Gem effect with the lights? If so, I usually base coat, dark wash, and then highlight the bottom right of the Gem with two blended layers of progressively lighter base coat. Finishing off with a white dot on the top left. Either that, or just quick basecoat, wash, then highlight with a watered down basecoat and gloss varnish for a quick effect.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-15, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Squared View Post
The metallic edge highlights look great, nice job.
Are you going for a Gem effect with the lights? If so, I usually base coat, dark wash, and then highlight the bottom right of the Gem with two blended layers of progressively lighter base coat. Finishing off with a white dot on the top left. Either that, or just quick basecoat, wash, then highlight with a watered down basecoat and gloss varnish for a quick effect.
Thanks man, I just started guard again and I wanted to try something other that Cadians lol.

It's actually a dawnbreaker highlight. I think it might just be a shit camera that is ruining the photo a bit.

And thanks for the gem tips!. I can never seem to do them right.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 12:41 AM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Highlights are very stark IMHO but that can also be due to the light. that being said it doesn't look bad at all just very defined. when i do gems or windows i try to follow this guide the top one would be more than sufficient to give you the effect that your looking for. Id also recommend grabbing some Ardcoat and painting the ports with that after youre done to add to the effect.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 08:18 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

Handy guide that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 08:27 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

It's better than I've managed with my own edge highlighting, though I'm about to throw myself into the trials of experimentation and grueling repetition to try to improve myself in that regard, a little.

I do think the barrel of the demolisher cannon could use a black or brown wash, though: it's a bit of a large block of just "single metallic paint," and has some nice crannies to hold washes. Mind you, you might well not be done and are just asking on feedback on the highlighting in particular, so I totally acknowledge I might be stepping over my bounds a bit.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-15, 07:09 AM

Tankworks's Flag is: Canada

Since you asked, it depends.
If you are high-lighting just to give some contrast then it is a little heavy for my taste.
If you are high-lighting to show wear then some areas could be heavier to show heavier use and others lighter. As an example the edges of the hatch could be picked out for wear but not the under-sides of panels that would get no wear. So any edges could have a very light edge just to set them off and heavier applications to areas subject to wear and tear.
I would re-do the gun barrel and just have shiny the short sections of the recoil cylinders' shafts and barrel next to the mantlet.
I hope this was helpful, not hurtful!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode