My 28mm German WW2 stuff! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-15, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Sigur's Flag is: Austria

Default My 28mm German WW2 stuff!

I noticed that I never posted my German WW2 stuff here on Heresy, so I decided to do this little thread here.

Almost two years ago, when the release of Chain of Command (brilliant platoon-level WW2 game by Too Fat Lardies. Highly recommanded) drew closer it got more and more impossible to resist the lure of 28mm WW2. To date I have played not a single game of Chain of Command at 28mm (mostly because neither of our platoons are finished and we're quite comfortable with our 15mm early desert 1941 campaign for now). However, I did play a bunch of games of Operation Squad (squad-level stuff, surprisingly well done, if a little marker-heavy) and Flying Lead (the gun-version of Song of Blades and Heroes. Clever little activation system, also squad-level, but entirely different in how it plays. Surprisingly deep and 'realistic', which you might not think from the first glance at the rules).

I started by buying unhealthy amounts of minis from Warlord Games, a step i regretted a bit later on. Their plastic infantry just don't do it for me compared to the metals by other manufacturers (Black Tree Design and The Assault Group are my favourites thus far) and the metals released after the original Bolt Action range are kind of iffy as well.

Anyway, I got started by reviewing the German Pioniers box. Built most of the box, a few of them like Pioniers, some more as regular infantry. Because nobody needs a full platoon (well, 27 or so guys because Warlord don't put full platoons into a box) of Pioniers in 28mm, unless you're into surprisingly specific scenarios (if so, more power to you) or play HUGE games at a club.

After that I got curious about Warlord's resin vehicle offerings and I did the Panzer IV H:

Here's the review of the kit

At the same time I unwisely got myself one of those "starter packs" from Warlord Games (yeah, they got me via the free shipping thing ).

Here you can see some of the guys along with a bunch of Anti-tank guys by Artizan:

Here's the review of the Artizan dudes.

Cool minis, small arms are surprisingly chunky though.

Of course I also did the mandatory SdKfz.251:

...aaaaand here's the review!

The next related thing I did wasn't for myself, but for a client who needed a force for Operation Squad:

Cool little force with a bunch of conversions and quite the wide range of equipment (the core force in Operation Squad unsurprisingly is an infantry squad, so between 9 and 13 dudes). So there's plenty of choice for equipment options.

So that's that for now. Things I got in the works: StuGIII Late (with magnetized gun options for the StuH42), a late Panzer III (the Rubicon one. Had to get one for review reasons) aaand a bunch of guys with MG42s:

Yarr, that's seven bloody MG42 (six light, one in the HMG config), all WIP of course. That's a ton of dakka. I got those because I was curious about The Assault Group's 28mm figures and so I could turn my regular infantry platoon (which isn't even finished properly yet) into a Panzergrenadiers platoon.

Hope you like the models so far! C&C welcome.

Last edited by Sigur; 04-07-15 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-15, 10:48 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

At the very great risk of sounding dull and repetitive...... Great work, Sig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-15, 03:39 AM
Warlord of Vermin

TechPr1est's Flag is: Australia

Sie sind erstaunlich!

absolutley amazing neatness and level of authenticity, colors are spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bruva Alfabusa
"My first model had so many layers of paint, that an excavation team could probably find fossils in it".

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-15, 05:41 AM

LordNecross's Flag is: USA

Cool stuff. Would love to see the tanks expanded. I love me some German ww2 Panzers.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-15, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

@Tawa: I'll let it slip this time. :D Thanks very much!
@TechPr1est: Thank you very much. Of course wars have been waged over the RIGHT Dunkelgelb in the past and I'm not sure if I'm all that happy with the look of the German vehicles but they're alright. :D I rather rarely paint historical tanks (which I think is very different to painting tanks for 40k and the likes. At least the expectations and requirements are very different), so it's always nice to get them as an exercise.
@LordNecross: Thanks. I know, German tanks (the later in the war the better, cat names confer a +20 bonus) are the Space Marines of historicals. :D And the appeal can not be denied. However, as all things Space Marine they're also kind of overdone and of course there is little appeal in fielding say a Tiger in a 28mm platoon level wargame. This is one of the reasons my main focus in WW2 gaming is early Western Desert British and the fact that the main plan for "late war" stuff is a fictitious conflict between the Western Allies and the Soviet Union in 1945/46. That and the fact that my regular wargaming buddy has a platoon of US infantry and I didn't really want to do 'late war Germans on the western front'. All that being said, of course I went and bought a lot of them (too much really, and as I said I'm not too impressed with the plastic infantry by Warlord Games). Because I'm weak. :D And it's handy having opponents for my Soviet platoon(s). ;) So yeah, there'll be some more German support choices.

Last edited by Sigur; 04-08-15 at 10:19 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-15, 10:38 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur View Post
Of course wars have been waged over the RIGHT Dunkelgelb in the past
Oh you'd better believe it mate. @Logaan was nearly lynched back in the day over the incorrect shades and pattern of his 15mm(!!!) peadot camo on his SS PanzerGrenadiers......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-15, 10:41 PM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

-wipes phone off-

Phew what a Wargasm!.

Very nice models and an even better paint job.

Have a cookie!.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-15, 12:30 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Terrific stuff, when it comes to modelling and war gaming everyone loves zee Germans

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-15, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

@Tawa : :D Amazing. Recently one of the local guys here was on the search for the CORRECT red for his Napoleonic British too. Especially with uniforms the whole question of exact colour (I mean I try to get stuff to look right, as I'm sure we all do) things get very foggy...
@Nacho libre : Thanks very much, but I make it kind of a rule not to take any cookies from people who just had a -gasm of any kind. ;)
@Oldman78 : Yeah, I don't know...maybe I've had enough of that when I was younger and I probably am overexposed to overexcited people who are really, really into all those Fallschirmjäger-SS-Tigerpanthermausuhu-Fliegerfaust things. Anyway, that doesn't stop me from buying toys it seems. :p
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-15, 08:09 AM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

-slides plate over-

Just in case you change your mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode