40k Juggerlord - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
GuiltySparc's Flag is: USA

Default 40k Juggerlord

My first ever conversion, though not much of one since i just converted the one arm, lol. The arm was from a land raider kit (used to hold the bolter mounted to the hatch) and i used a bolt pistol hand from left over raptor bits.

I was a bit dismayed when i opened the kit and saw that the rider's body was all one piece other than the arms and head. I had also bought a termi lord and planned to use his top half with the rider's lower half. Even with the majority WFB parts, i think he still looks pretty good riding down the 40k battlefield.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 02:04 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Conversions do not have to be extensive, and your painting is very good, have a cookie

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 02:15 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Transition between red and black is nice. cookie for you.
I find that even a decapitated space marine head on the base could add to the 40k feeling

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Transition between red and black is nice. cookie for you.
I find that even a decapitated space marine head on the base could add to the 40k feeling
That red/black thing took me a bunch of trial and errors until i finally figured out a technique that worked. After the first couple attempts i was pretty sure i was never going to get something i liked. I'm glad you like it!

I thought about putting a head in the dirt but all i had laying around were csm heads, though i guess that would still work...like he killed one of his soldiers for whatever reason (or no reason, he is a khornate bro after all).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 02:43 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltySparc View Post
csm heads
A Khorne lord has no use for weaklings. They died 'cause they where weak: they deserved to die.
Or you could just paint them as another warband. Maybe a Slaaneshi one or better still, a tzeentchian one!

EDIT: also, care to share the tecnique you used for the red/black?

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
A Khorne lord has no use for weaklings. They died 'cause they where weak: they deserved to die.
Or you could just paint them as another warband. Maybe a Slaaneshi one or better still, a tzeentchian one!

EDIT: also, care to share the tecnique you used for the red/black?
oh thats a great idea! I had not thought of that...i'll see if i have enough bits to cobble together a corpse. I think the purple/gold of an emperpor's children marine would really pop with the red/black of the lord. Blue and yellow would too.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

The black/red is a bit of a story...

So the black is just the black primer and the red is mephiston red and evil suns scarlet. The first technique i tried was to use glazing medium and mephiston red. I had bought a bottle of the medium and really wanted to try using it (had never used it before). I

First attempt... I thinned the red with the medium and also some water since i tend to use a wet palette. I started doing the rib cage of the juggernaut by just trying to glaze the edges with the thinned red in order to get the transition. It was working ok but not great, i was getting too much red too far from the edge. I also did the front leg facing the camera in the last picture towards the end of this session and OH MAN it worked perfectly. I was really excited that i had finally gotten it. Unfortunately i was never able to recreate the effect quite as well and became dismayed. I think i just had the perfect mix of water, medium, and paint when i did that leg and i couldn't hit on it again.

Multiple later attempts... I wasn't able to recreate the smooth transition i got on that first leg so i started trying to use just paint and medium of varying thiness and what i got was a fade that was still not very good. All of the black that you can see now was a faded shade of pink...needless to say, that was Khorne approved. So i cleaned it all back up by painting black back over it and basically starting again (except for the one front leg).

The technique i hit on that worked really well was to simply use a thin coat of mephiston red to stripe the edges, followed by an edge highlight of evil suns, followed by a couple layers of very water thinned mephiston to create a small area of fading. After i did that on all of the edges, i washed the whole thing with nuln oil. This was the magic trick, it mellowed all of the stripes and made the fade work. I then did a super light dry brush of mephiston over most of the model to put an ever so slightly red hue on the ridges and crests which you can't see very well in the pictures.

The gashes in the jugger's armor are mephiston and evil suns after the nuln oil so they were not darkened/mellowed by that step. The jugger's head was much simpler, just mephiston, washed with nuln oil, highlighted with mephiston, evil suns, and wild rider red around the eye.

Thus is the tale of the black/red
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 03:20 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Very nice job. The only thing lacking is a power pack for his armour. That would really set it up as a chaos space marine as opposed to a WFB chaos warrior at first glance. None the less, worthy of some rep.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 03:26 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 03:27 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

A round base might make him fit in, but he's otherwise a solid mini! Great job on the red/black transitions, as has been said.

...Aha, yeah, power pack. Still need to put those on the 2 Juggerlords I made out of Skullcrushers...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode