organizing bits - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

tu_shan82's Flag is: Australia

Default organizing bits

hi all, i currently have 5 large plastic containers filled to the brim with sprues some almost complete, others with only a few components and everything inbetween and i want to minimize space so plan on putting it all in those screw organizing cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
We don't need to use any military force to defeat the imperium, we'll just send GW legal at them. As soon as they see the first sign of a thunderhawk gunship, their IP infringement addled brains will go into meltdown - they'll smash everything out of the sky with cease and desist letters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 08:41 AM
The Tinkerer

Wookiepelt's Flag is: United Kingdom

That's what I did... see those plastic electronic component boxes and ice-cream containers on the top few shelves on the right?

Don't leave us engineers with too much free time on our hands...
we WILL tinker around and build something!!!

Wookie's Wolfies - A Space Wolves Project Log
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

i'm thinking that ill put component types in each draw and use ziplock bags to keep thew separate, for example ig lasgun arms come in distinct pairs. Any thoughts

Quote:
We don't need to use any military force to defeat the imperium, we'll just send GW legal at them. As soon as they see the first sign of a thunderhawk gunship, their IP infringement addled brains will go into meltdown - they'll smash everything out of the sky with cease and desist letters.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 01:29 PM
The Tinkerer

Wookiepelt's Flag is: United Kingdom

Good idea in theory but when you start adding up the the number of ziplock bags you'll need and the space those will take up, you'll end up having to double, potentially triple, the number of compartments you actually need! I've simply grouped weapon types together and if they are paired arms, then group the same ones together in one compartment. It is fairly easy to identify matching pairs anyway.

Each one of those boxes (in some cases, two) are for a specific army type and I simply label the box with the Army name so if I need Wolfie or Nid bitz, I simply go for their respective boxes.

That's my system of organised chaos anyway. You will have to work out you own version of organised chaos to fit in with your working style as there really isn't a right or wrong way of doing this.

Don't leave us engineers with too much free time on our hands...
we WILL tinker around and build something!!!

Wookie's Wolfies - A Space Wolves Project Log
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 01:45 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Ive got a ton of bits as well (nowhere near wookies collection though. And i spearate them by game then by what they are. Weapons heads torsos etc. it might take a little while to actually find the right piece but more often than not i find that i get a better idea after rummaging through my bits for a minute. and it requires many less compartments so i can condenses everything into a 1x1.5x1.5 box with drawers on it.
Larger pieces and terrain i store in a large plastic bin.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

Last edited by SwedeMarine; 02-10-15 at 01:47 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 03:43 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiepelt View Post

Each one of those boxes (in some cases, two) are for a specific army type and I simply label the box with the Army name so if I need Wolfie or Nid bitz, I simply go for their respective boxes.

That's my system of organised chaos anyway. You will have to work out you own version of organised chaos to fit in with your working style as there really isn't a right or wrong way of doing this.
I am the same way so my system is set up by army and then by what the bit is. The zip lock bags will just make your job three times harder. As wookie pointed out identifying the two arms is easy once you have them in their own container.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

the bags were only going to be for components that need to remain separate so all of lasgun arm set A go in one bag, all of set B in another. Things like heads just go together. Also marine arms would go together cos they're a lot easier to distinguish

Quote:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-15, 06:02 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Id still say avoid the bags. They will end up taking alot of space. You'd be better off in that case getting a few more sorting trays and just having one.box for differebt arms one box for different legs etc.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-15, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, a little update, I found an awesome product from a company called Plano at an auto supply shop here in Australia. It's a box with a clear lid that holds five trays with adjustable compartments, three large ones and two smaller ones, that also have clear lids. So far I have been able to sort out my DA, BA and SW bits, with one large tray each, and with DW and RW both going in the small trays. It really is a fucking awesome product, even if it bis on the expensive side, approx $40 AUD, and I plan on getting more of them to sort out all of my bits. At some point I'll post pics just in case anyone's interested.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode