Is there a cost effective way to make black templar crusaders? Modeling bolt pistol w/ chainsword - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-15, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
mahavira's Flag is: Canada

Default Is there a cost effective way to make black templar crusaders? Modeling bolt pistol w/ chainsword

I've been considering making a few Black Templars as allies for my IG, but find myself agog at the cost. If you want them with chainsword and bolt pistol, it seems like you're stuck with one of a few options:

1) tactical squad plus the black Templar accessory pack (80% of the cost of the tactical squad), which doesn't look like it actually has enough bolt pistols and chainswords
2) buy assault marines (80% of the cost of a tactical squad for 5) and cannibalize the pistols and swords
3) the sword brethren kit, which is more expensive than a tactical squad for half the number of models and is kind of specialized

As I live in Canada, shipping would likely devour a substantial amount of any savings by going to bits stores.

Is there a combination of kits I'm missing that is actually efficient at doing this? Or is this why Black Templar players are few enough in number that unlike the other "unique snowflake" chapters they got rolled back into the main SM codex?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-15, 01:57 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

The SW troop kit would make a full set of chain sword/ Bolt Pistol models. They would be covered with SW stuff though. You could prob get the arms off eBay for cheap though.

Moved this to M&P and added more detail to the title.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Last edited by scscofield; 02-06-15 at 02:01 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-15, 08:39 AM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Bitz websites and green stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-15, 08:51 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Bits stores, ebay, heresy trading area, a hobby/modelling store to get some cheap small chain. Will any bolt pistol and chain sword do? Maybe a friendly heretic from canada would be willing to trade bits with you

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-15, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't been aware that Space Wolves had that many chainswords/bolt pistols in the kit. Shipping costs have been the major factor discouraging me from looking at bits stores as unless you're buying quite a lot you end up paying more for shipment than the items. In a perfect world I wouldn't care much about the appearance of the chainswords as I'd ideally like to buy katanas (only problem is I probably have to spring for the parts to even find out if they're the right size) for a conversion so I can have a "Rising Suns" chapter using the Black Templar rules, but that's an entirely different issue and I need the right kind of arms to hold them in any case. The bolt pistols, looking at the sprue pictures on the GW website the overly wolfy ones look like they can be relatively easily modified to be less so, though the magnification isn't quite enough to be sure.

For chain I actually was thinking of using the "razorwire" from the scenery (not seeing it on the website any more but I bought a pack a long time ago intending to make barbed wire fences but never getting round to it).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-15, 06:56 AM
To The Dark Tower Came

The Gunslinger's Flag is: United Kingdom

my suggestion would be maybe chaos space marines, they have lots of chainswords and bolt pistols on their sprue, enough to equip the whole squad.

Check out my Project Log: Forbidden Colours!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-15, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Having found a better picture of the Space Wolf sprue, those guns are way wolfier than expected - while I have to be impressed by the fine detail work, it renders them a little less useful for kitbashing. I'll have to see if the chaos space marine sprue is a little less decorated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode