Painting Frustrations - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-15, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Default Painting Frustrations

Alright, this is going to be a mix of getting some stuff off my chest and also asking for tips and advice from those with wiser heads (and more skilled painting hands) than mine. To set the scene, since I began uni in a foreign country in late 2013, I have not managed to fully paint a single mini. This is a mix of the responsibilities of university, maintaining a healthy relationship, and telling myself I don't have the time.

What I have realized is that I may have shot myself in the foot a bit. I feel like my painting skills have devolved significantly (currently trying to paint up an Infinity Ariadna Scout for a small painting contest tomorrow). Here's what I've found:

-My painting skills have taken a hit, as I have become rusty over time. Obvious point is obvious.
-As my painting skills have dropped somewhat, I feel less confident and hence less motivated to paint.
-Finding the time to take an entire day and just paint is a thing of the past.
-I have kept playing, and even started a new game system (Infinity). I have become pretty damn good with my greenstuffing/Milliputting skills

Those are the general issues that I wouldn't mind some advice on, but there are also plenty of technical issues I would like to pick your collective brains on.

-Greens. Damn painting greens. I either get the highlights too stark, or so subtle it looks like there are none.
-My fleshtone. God damn that paint. It manages to be both too thick to paint on without brushstrokes being visible in it, as well as too thin to get decent coverage without a ton of layers. I thought I had a bad paint, and bought a new one. Same problem
--> Linked to that, I have a feeling that the near-total lack of humidity in my room is partially to blame for that, so if anyone could tell me if my hunch is right/what I can do to solve it, that'd be greatly appreciated.

So yes, that's the long and the short of it. I hope this doesn't come across as too ranty, but I really feel that hearing the opinions of others and getting some pointers could help me out.

Quote:
Remember to use the BRB not the SRB from black reach... makes for a much better implement of physical enlightenment through repeated smacking on the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven302 View Post
Ah... the simpler times of the 1960's. When pedophilia wasn't frowned upon.
“Thou shalt not invite a Banshee to Karaoke”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-15, 12:08 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Ah yes, the painter frustration syndrome. We've all been there man - I'll see if I can help out a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfly View Post
-Greens. Damn painting greens. I either get the highlights too stark, or so subtle it looks like there are none.
What sort of green are you going for? Could you give a example of the look you're trying to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfly View Post
My fleshtone. God damn that paint. It manages to be both too thick to paint on without brushstrokes being visible in it, as well as too thin to get decent coverage without a ton of layers. I thought I had a bad paint, and bought a new one. Same problem
My experience with fleshtones is that they in general are quite thick in nature. For smooth transitions you will need to have it thinned down, but not too much as in your instance. I usually go for 2/3 paint, and 1/3 medium when I'm painting fleshtones in general. This gives you a mix that can cover most things in 2 coats; 1st coat for transitions and 2nd coat for coverage.

What paints are you using for your fleshtones?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-15, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

@Nordicus : Thanks for the help

I have been going for a pretty military green. Think darker than OD green. I was using VMC russian green as the base, with russian green + black as the shade (2 different tones of it), and russian green + green grey as the highlight (again, 2 tones)

The fleshtone was dwarf flesh from Vallejo game color. I used to do fine with it, and not have the problem of it being a paradox paint...that's what led me to suspect the humidity (or lack thereof) was the cause.

Quote:
Remember to use the BRB not the SRB from black reach... makes for a much better implement of physical enlightenment through repeated smacking on the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven302 View Post
Ah... the simpler times of the 1960's. When pedophilia wasn't frowned upon.
“Thou shalt not invite a Banshee to Karaoke”

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-15, 01:55 PM

Relise's Flag is: England

Have you tried a wet palette? They tend to keep paints flowing nicely and last longer. Plenty of guides of how to build your own on the web. I find it it makes my paint last longer and not get as thick so quickly under the light I use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode