Last week I finally started painting my biotitan. My local gw manager was kind enough to let me leave it at the store while I do to avoid nasty transport related damage, so I've been getting there the last couple weekends to work on it.
It is a hell of a job. I'm used to being able to sit and paint a monster in a day or two. This has far too much detail to paint in the same fashion, and that's even with leaving a few parts off the model...
Basecoating was easy, as it usually is. Blue for the carapace, grey for the skin. But before any of that I painted the base, because the way I do that is always messy and splashy. Afterwards, I picked out all of the bony ridges, claws and spikes with brown before a quick drybrush of rakarth flesh for a bony look. The carapace then got a second coat, this time sotek green on the upper edge gradually drybrushed to reach about halfway down each plate. The skin also received a heavier drybrush of a lighter grey, I forget what it was called.
Once this was done, the ENTIRE model was given a shade of nuln oil. A job so big it had to be done in stages, the limbs, then the underside, then the carapace. While that was drying I started adding some grass tufts to the base. When the shade was completely dry (nearly an hour later because of the lackluster air conditioning the shopping centre has) I began to pick out some of the exposed flesh and musculature. Initially I was going to go with green, but it didn't provide any contrast and I soon realized that this model would definitely need contrast. So instead I decided to go with a red.
It seemed odd at first, but I stuck with it and have to admit it has grown on me.
There is still a lot to be done. The edge highlighting and spikes all over the carapace is going to be a nightmare, and there is still a lot of musculature hidden on the underside of the model as well as on the spore chimneys that needs to be picked out.
Overall I have enjoyed working on this.