Specific paint removal - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Default Specific paint removal

Hey people,

I was wondering if any of you could help me. I'm currently at a stage in my painting where I end up really liking some parts of a painted model but want to redo some other area. Do you know of a way to reliably remove paint from a small area of a model without touching the rest of the model?

I currently use a hobby knife to scrape off the paint but this usually results in more repair work needed and is impractical for some hard to reach places.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 10:13 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

My best advice would be to take a old brush, that you don't use anymore, and put some non-acetone nailpolish remover on it. Put a thick coat on the area you want to remove, let it sit for about 30 second and you can scrub it off with a thin scraper.

It's not optimal, but with a little practice it can do what you need to do.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 10:31 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

paint over the area you dont like

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
paint over the area you dont like
I second this. If you thin your paints, it will look fine.

As an alternative, perhaps a Q-tip with 97% alcohol (the kind used to clean an area of skin before a nurse/doctor inserts a needle) might work too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 11:52 AM
Miniature's Surgeon

Dusty's Corner's Flag is: Philipines

Firstly, I'd try to protect areas you want to keep - masking tape, blue tack, cling film etc
Then you can attempt paint removal without worrying too much about the rest of the model.
If you can get away with adding more layers of paint, then great.
q-tip with solvent (alcohol, nail varnish remover, dettol etc) will be good. Be careful not to drown the area being worked on.
Sanding pads are also great to smooth out. You can cut the sanding pad/sponge to give you sharp corners that you can work into tight areas. It's also a bit safer than using fluids.
Otherwise knife is actually great, use a blade with a rounded tip - scalpel blade no.15 is master! You can actually scrape out line work, tidy detailed features (including face) and remove fine lines.
Remember if you've removed paint completely, you'll probably want to re-undercoat it aferwards - So leave the masking in place and remove any dust particles before continuing to paint.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 06:32 PM

SonofVulkan's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd go with painting over the top. If your paints aren't too thick, it should be fine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-15, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Thanks for the responses guys! I would paint over the area, but often the wanting to remove paint is the result of trying to paint over an area 10 times because I'm not happy with the first try.

I'm gonna try the q-tip method and let you know how it goes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-15, 01:47 PM

Easiest way to remoce paint froma specific area is using a cotton bud or very stiff fine brush (like the GW stipplin brush) and rub isopropyl alcohol on it, that should remove the paint fairly easily. I personally would only use the alcohol as it doesn 't get grundy unlike simple green dettol and nail polish remover.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-15, 08:07 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

I've had success with a cotton bud/q-tip and white spirits/mineral spirits but I think that these might damage the plastic underneath? I'd go for some strong alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silens View Post
I've had success with a cotton bud/q-tip and white spirits/mineral spirits but I think that these might damage the plastic underneath? I'd go for some strong alcohol.
It won't be a problem provided you don't leave it on for too long. I have used an acetone soaked Q - tip and a dental pick to remove a specific patch of paint before (my advise is to use alcohol though).

Do remember to varnish the parts you like prior to attempting this though! The varnish will protect the paint against the alcohol for a short period of time though it will eventually break down if you work at it too long.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode