How To Strip Paint! - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-25-09, 02:09 PM

inqusitor_me's Flag is: Scotland

most nail varnish removers will take the paint of metal modles very fast not so good for plastic models

one i recomend:
superdrug own brand

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-27-09, 10:00 PM

Veritax's Flag is: USA

Simple green and a ultrasonic cleaner. Paint has no chance very little scrubbing to remove leftovers.
Jewlers cleaners are around 10 - 20 $.

Honor has died
Love is lost
Hope fades away
post #23 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-29-09, 01:26 AM

rykin666's Flag is: Canada

someone mentioned simple green is cheap... im on a tight budget, so id like to know exactly how cheap before i make a trip into town. Under $5? $5-$10? $10+?

post #24 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-09, 08:18 PM

Aramis87's Flag is: USA

Ok I have tried both Simple Green and Super Clean to strip my models so here is my 2 cents on them

Both are Bio-Degradeable which is a plus, and both are fairly inexpensive (around $15 to $20 a gallon from what I have found.)

I find that Super Clean works faster then Simple Green. With Simple Green I had to let them soak overnight to start to get primer off, with Super Clean, it took a few hours. Plus, Super Clean softens up super glue alot better then Simple Green. And actually, on a couple of my plastic models, Simple Green did a slight amount of melting to them. (Which is weird, considering it is a degreaser.) Wasn't bad, and easily fixable / hideable, but still something I wasn't expecting.

However, Super Clean tends to leave alot of white residue on the models, which I have found can be a pain in the a** to get off. I eventually had to boil water, let it cool a little bit as to not hurt my models, and then soak them in the hot water for about 6 hours, then take the electric toothbrush to them again to get it all off.

Again, these are my personal experiences and opinions on the 2. My personal preference is to not have to strip paint at all.
post #25 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-17-09, 04:39 PM

Vorag of Strigos's Flag is: United Kingdom

never use boilnig water/oil to strip paint, I found out the extremely painful way not too, after my model took 5 hours setting 6 on a stove to boil the paint away using cooking oil, I inflicted a serious burn on myself. never use heat to strip models of paint...EVER, simple green really rocks, I don't mind paying £2.25 to import it from america, I'd pay double that just to pay for the adheisive I use to put together metal models

"Trample the weak, and hurdle the dead."
post #26 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-25-09, 01:47 PM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorag of Strigos View Post
never use boilnig water/oil to strip paint, I found out the extremely painful way not too, after my model took 5 hours setting 6 on a stove to boil the paint away using cooking oil, I inflicted a serious burn on myself. never use heat to strip models of paint...EVER, simple green really rocks, I don't mind paying 2.25 to import it from america, I'd pay double that just to pay for the adheisive I use to put together metal models
Dude, use Brown Dettol, works in the EXACT same way!

post #27 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-07-09, 02:31 PM

Graf Spee's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorag of Strigos View Post
never use boilnig water/oil to strip paint, I found out the extremely painful way not too, after my model took 5 hours setting 6 on a stove to boil the paint away using cooking oil, I inflicted a serious burn on myself. never use heat to strip models of paint...EVER, simple green really rocks, I don't mind paying 2.25 to import it from america, I'd pay double that just to pay for the adheisive I use to put together metal models
is this a joke? you used boiling oil? crazy. pewter melts around 230C. most oils easily reach 200C and higher before boiling. did you need a skin transplantation afterwards? what would you have done if it would have flamed? poured water on it? i don't think it's good to post such things here. gives some people wrong ideas. this is just dangerous.

There is no such thing as too many tanks.

Support NetEpic GOLD at the EPICentre.

my tutorial for making rivets:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...110#post445110
post #28 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-18-09, 03:30 PM

spidie2000's Flag is: USA

what kind of stores carry Simple Green in the US? Should I be able to pick it up at any grocery store?

Burn the Heretic
Kill the Mutant
Purge the Unclean
post #29 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-03-09, 11:19 AM

I've tested some widely available items from the U.K. for stripping paint, these were the results...

1) B&Q's own paint and varnish remover (around 5?).

Works well and quickly, only need to soak models for about an hour tops. Paint comes off well and superglue turns gooey and comes off easily. May need to use something sharp to get paint off some of the small details. Also need to wash parts after.
Downside...stinks! and may burn your hand off...it's strong stuff so be careful using it. I feel that it does diminish some of the smaller details on the model.

2) Nail varnish remover (about 1 from boots/superdrug/supermarket).

I soaked my model for about 24 hours, I found that it did not work very well at all. When I attempted to scrub the paint off it was very stubborn. No effect on superglue either. I wouldn't really recommend this, but other people might have used it differently with better results. This also smells, use in a well-ventilated area.

3) Brown Dettol (1.99 for 500ml in superdrug)

I really liked this stuff, doesn't smell too bad, and won't really damage you in any way haha. It's a thick brown liquid that I left my model in for around 12 hours. By this time I could see that some of the paint had already come off in in big pieces. I took the parts out and ran them under warm water at which point the rest of the paint just sort of slided off. There were a few layers of paint on this model so I used an old toothbrush to remove the more stubborn paint. Superglue remained hard, but could be levered off easily with something sharp.

In conclusion...dettol is definitely my winner, cheap and easy to use with good results. If you need to strip paint fast I would recommend No.1, but use with care. Honestly I will not be trying nail varnish remover again!
post #30 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-10-09, 08:23 PM

Simple green bought it at Home depot or lowe's for like 6 bucks a bottle put in 5 minis pulled them out 24 hrs later and tooth bushed them off and if they weren't perfect "most of them were" I put them in for another cycle and a tooth brush no amount of coats has lasted through 2 cycles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode