How To Strip Paint! - Page 12 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-28-15, 06:05 AM
eae

How can I strip a transfer sheet from a model? I have a banner that was painted using the citadel paints, then applied a layer of gloss varnish and then put a transfer sheet over it (but not yet sealed it with the varnish). I don't like the result since it looks completely off the shadowing scheme of a banner so I want to take it off and do a freehand, how do I take a transfer sheet off?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transfer_fail.JPG (156.2 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-04-16, 02:03 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

After some thought I am seriously considering stripping my entire Dark Eldar force, minus five of the Incubi which I am still happy with, as I am longer happy by the standard of their appearance. I've become a better painter since I started with them and i'd like to redo them, in a new colour scheme as well.

Question is, is there a good way to strip paint en masse from an entire army?? My force is about 30-40 infantry and seven vehicles, and I don't want to do this over a few months. Has anyone stripped an entire army before and can recommend a good way?

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #113 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-04-16, 04:39 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I stripped about 30 marines at once in a good quality tupperware container full of Simple Green. Let soak, hot water toothbrush scrub, repeat as necessary. I wasn't in a rush and the models I stripped were all plastic and thickly primed so it took a while. There's likely faster ways to go about it but this worked just fine for me.

Oh, also I used plastic toothpicks (drug store) to get into the finicky nooks and broke apart as much as I could to help facilitate the scrubbing.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #114 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-11-16, 12:39 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

I'm adding a warning here. In my search for a replacement for my beloved fairy power spray I've been searching the interwebs for alternatives. Somone mentioned a product called biostrip 20 saying it worked just like fairy but without the smell. A bit of research later and a quick check of the description and I was confident that this "made for stripping plastic" of paint stripper might be what I was after.

My test model, a classic rhino, is now a rubbery, corroded mess.

Biostrip 20 will eat your models.

post #115 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-11-16, 11:13 AM

mgrainger70's Flag is: Australia

Try Cif kitchen or Bathroom power spray.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
post #116 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-11-16, 10:00 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Buy it enough drinks to get it drunk and with a little bit of luck it will strip.
post #117 of 126 (permalink) Old 09-06-16, 08:49 PM

evanswolves's Flag is: England

Bought 10 space marines off of eBay, had them in dettol for a about 10 hours and the paint came right off, however it looks like the plastic underneath has dyed almost black in a lot of places, anyone else had this happen? Manage to fix it?
Have stripped a blood angels tactical squad with no problems and also the 3 marine starter set from games workshop...
post #118 of 126 (permalink) Old 09-06-16, 11:08 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

@evanswolves I've had things like that happen in years past when part of the undercoat (of whatever color) didn't entirely separate from the model. Usually though I didn't have issues with the remaining pigment causing texture problems.

Do you have photos to help us diagnose the issue?

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #119 of 126 (permalink) Old 09-07-16, 01:34 PM

evanswolves's Flag is: England

Not the best pic but here you go.
Iv only been painting for a couple of weeks, and after the ease of stripping the 3 ultramarine starter set and the blood angels off of eBay I was kind of befuddled why these didn't strip aswell, thought perhaps they had used some other kind of primer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160907_132812.jpg (312.9 KB, 5 views)
post #120 of 126 (permalink) Old 09-07-16, 02:19 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by eae View Post
How can I strip a transfer sheet from a model? I have a banner that was painted using the citadel paints, then applied a layer of gloss varnish and then put a transfer sheet over it (but not yet sealed it with the varnish). I don't like the result since it looks completely off the shadowing scheme of a banner so I want to take it off and do a freehand, how do I take a transfer sheet off?

Thanks in advance.

Has wetting it again and gently rubbing it failed? This looks like it may be a repaint job over the decal, unfortunately I have no experience of this so cannot offer a solid solution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode