I need help painting Tomb Kings - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-14, 11:16 AM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Tall One View Post

I guess the bone would disintegrate before reaching such high temperatures.
Considering its a fantasy game i think you might well be able to get away with it ;). But i think JAMOB may be on to something. I know your going to the whole Burnt bone look but i think you should start from a white basecoat. then progressively build up layers of oranges and reds and end with a watered down yellow wash. this will make the glowing ember effect a bit more subtle. once you have those layers built up i would pick out the bone areas with something close to either bleached bone or possibly even with a grey such as dawnstone to give a bit of a ashy look. Once you have that down then lightly go over everything and get the black areas done to represent the charring. this will also give the effect of showing how some of the troops were more affected by the fire than others. you could even leave some areas regular bone color just to throw a bit of irregularity into your rank and file which would really set them apart on the battlefield. just my 2 cents.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-14, 01:26 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-14, 05:33 PM
So be it.

Quote:
@JAMOB, I'm not sure whether it works that way. While I don't doubt bone radiates like a black body, I guess the bone would disintegrate before reaching such high temperatures. As you can see, I did paint the sword of my Tomb Prince that way! I plan to have all my characters and special units with such weapons.
Maybe not mate but it still looks cool.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-14, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Tha Tall One's Flag is: Netherlands

Thanks again guys. I'll try to work on them again soon, and try out some of your ideas!
I'd still like some advice on directional lighting however.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-14, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, as you might have seen in the painting competition of last month, I've finished a Liche Priest using this scheme:

I'm quite happy with the directional lighting I've experimented with, though not everything I tried worked out OK. The Liche Priest is of course not a skeletion, so I need to try what I've learned with this on some less preserved corpses of my army.

Has anyone some more tips of critique for me?
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-14, 09:32 AM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Well, as you might have seen in the painting competition of last month, I've finished a Liche Priest using this scheme:

I'm quite happy with the directional lighting I've experimented with, though not everything I tried worked out OK. The Liche Priest is of course not a skeletion, so I need to try what I've learned with this on some less preserved corpses of my army.

Has anyone some more tips of critique for me?
The yellow looks a bit too yellow to me. Same for the red. Maybe trying muting it a bit by mixing it with a mid-grey? Also slap some white highlights at the tippy top! When you get more confident you could look into having the flakey bits on the surface (The dark spots in the hot areas, I think that they are impurities). They do look fantastic though and you definitely get the impression that they are hot! They just look a bit more like fire than glowing hot metal. This is all in reference to the blades. I think the bones look great. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"

Last edited by Silens; 11-04-14 at 09:38 AM.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-14, 06:52 PM

I really like it very nice, while your others weren't bad the black looks more detailed now with the grey highlights and the addition of golds and metallics as spot colours makes the model much more interesting, have to say I'm jealous!!

Possibly just to add a bit more detail for the parchment and such which aren't on the body (in particular the one at the base of the main blade on the staff) try actually painting that as a bit of parchement with scripture on it? As I can imagine being less brunt (as obviously burnt parchment will just turn to dust!)

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-14, 07:21 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think these look phenomenal myself, but if I were to add any criticism it would also be your tone of yellow. You want to stick on the orange through creme into white yellow tones rather than canary. This is especially significant on your horsemen, where the yellow is almost a tinge of green, but it may just be the lighting.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-14, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the comments! (And the votes! That really made my day!)
I shall keep the advice in mind for the next models!
The Horsemen were of course not at all finished, I posted that picture specifically for advice on the fiery bits. I see what you mean by the green tinge in the yellow, and I shall try to make my yellow more mellow.
I also painted the parchment and cloth bits with agrellan earth, to make the look more crispy, but that didn't work out too well. You can see the texture in the parchment if you look very carefully.
I really appreciate your criticism! However, I would also like to hear some more on how to improve my source lighting techniques!
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-07-14, 07:16 PM

Ah yes I see the cracks now, I think that is actually really nice, if you want bigger more pronounced cracks you need to put it on a bit thicker (one of the rare times where more is better!)

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode