When is the right time to buy an airbrush? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-14, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Default When is the right time to buy an airbrush?

Greetings heretics!

I've reached the point in my hobby life (going on 2 years now since I bought my first miniature, so I suppose it fits) where I'm considering buying an airbrush. However, it is not to replace the brushes, but rather for these particular effects:

- Lightning effects (Plasma guns, eyes, etc).
- Priming in odd colors.
- Painting large surfaces such as vehicles.

My questions are now two-fold for all of you airbrushers out there:

1) When considering such specific assignments for it, would you say the time is right to buy an airbrush?

2) If yes, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations as to brand and model I should consider.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-14, 08:32 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Greetings heretics!

I've reached the point in my hobby life (going on 2 years now since I bought my first miniature, so I suppose it fits) where I'm considering buying an airbrush. However, it is not to replace the brushes, but rather for these particular effects:

- Priming in odd colors.

1) When considering such specific assignments for it, would you say the time is right to buy an airbrush?

2) If yes, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations as to brand and model I should consider.

Thanks in advance!
this is too much and open ended question..
a: the time is right when you feel you want to do it
b: all depends on your budget...i would highly recommend the iwata neo for the first brush..there are lots of reviews on youtube on it..its a great brush..but heres the trap..DONT skimp on the compressor..spend the money and get something descent.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-14, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmantis View Post
this is too much and open ended question..
a: the time is right when you feel you want to do it
b: all depends on your budget...i would highly recommend the iwata neo for the first brush..there are lots of reviews on youtube on it..its a great brush..but heres the trap..DONT skimp on the compressor..spend the money and get something descent.
All right, fair point. I guess I was wondering if these little projects was worth the investment and when other people started using a airbrush. A baseline of sorts of when it's the right time to go from thought to investment.

I will keep to the straight questions then

Let's say I have around 250 euroes for a project like this, as a max for everything included. I want a airbrush that is good to start with, but also something that can be used once I get to a higher level. A entry-level and medium-level airbrush.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-14, 08:43 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

well as i said the neo runs about 60ish euro i think..and then that would leave you the rest ro a compressor..keep in mind sometimes its cheaper NOT to buy a compressor from a model shop..
look around for compressor shops you can generaly pick up one bigger and cheaper.
just get a regulator put on it and bobs your unlce..
avoid a pistion compressor..they are noisy and tend to bounce..and over heat..
im no wizard but try to get one with a reserve tank on it..
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-14, 01:38 PM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

I shall answer your question with another question... when is it NOT a right time to buy an airbrush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-14, 04:54 PM
Innovative Forge-Lord

Cypher871's Flag is: England

Hi Nord, as to when the best time to buy an airbrush is...as soon as you can afford a decent compressor I would say. If you just want to practice there are any number of cheap airbrushes (I personally have a Badger 200 single action and an unbranded dual action - both cheap airbrushes, but I have a Revell Master Class compressor).

The compressor is important though...don't get a cheap one as it will cause you issues with things like overheating, poor and inconsistent air flow, small or no storage tank and oil or water in the line (although you should have an in-line water trap on each airbrush anyway).

I actually went the little extra and fitted quick release connectors so its easy to disconnect one airbrush and connect another (if you use more than one).

At the moment if you only have 250 Euro's that will probably get you the compressor - the Revell cost me 200 last year and is still being sold at Wonderland Models (UK) for that price. On Amazon the same compressor is going for 300.

I think your best bet would be to save a bit more before you buy, or do like me and just buy bits as you can afford them as it' not just the compressor and airbrush you need to think about.

You will also need cleaning tools, cleaning fluid (I use Muc-Off bike cleaner ), in-line water trap, hoses, spare paint bottles (depending on your airbrush and painting habits) etc, etc.

Cheers

Cy
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-14, 05:04 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

9.07pm on a tuesday evening during high summer and the swans are flying east for their holy pilgrimage to Swaziland.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-14, 05:20 PM

Ravion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Greetings heretics!

- Priming in odd colors.

Thanks in advance!
ANSWERS

1. The best time to buy an airbrush is when you want to expand your painting capability and are willing to put time and effort into learning how to paint with one.

2. The two best brands that I would recommend are Badger and Iwata.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-14, 12:25 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Save and hunt. Keep your eyes open for what you want (hunt) and save until you find a deal that fits your needs. As said by everyone above, do NOT skimp on the compressor. I did, and paid the price for it (literally). Wasn't too mad about it, got a lot of practice in, but it was quickly noticed that the no tank was a massive drawback.
Another thing to be aware of and think about: noise. Because I live in an apartment, I needed a compressor that wasn't going to wake up my neighbors at 3am when I was on a painting binge.
As for the actual airbrush itself, will tell you what I feel is the way to go. It may be different for other people. Dual action, gravity fed are my two musts. The only brushes I've used are Iwata (CS and BS I think off hand), and a cheap badger that was single action. The badger was "ok" for practice, but I couldn't do with it what I wanted to do.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-14, 05:58 AM

I'm in the market for an airbrush myself and honestly I've been wanting one since ive found about their magic about half a year ago I was about to get one before I realised what a time and money investment it is!

Right now I am planning to get a no brand dual action gravity fed airbrush and a decent compressor and just like Cypher up there said its not only this 2 things, you need to get bunch of other stuff aswell.
So I am just bidding my time right now until I have enough money to invest in it. Also I wanted to learn how to actually paint decals with it and pimp my motorbike with some sick flames and skulls =3

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode