Question about painting space and paints. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-14, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

The Nerd's Flag is: England

Default Question about painting space and paints.

Ok so, I'm coming back to the hobby after a few years of real life. I've actually managed to find a few models and my paints and stuff, which is awesome as I don't have to start 100% from scratch. I need some advice though on two things: (I wasn't sure where to put this, if it needs moving I can do that)

1) My acrylic paints have dried up a little. They are still usable but some of them have partially solidified. Is there anyway I can save them or should I just replace them when the usable bits have run out?

2) Since I last painted I have moved and now I only really have my room to work in instead of a whole house. I want to get a desk in there to use but I don't know if it's going to be feasible. Does anyone else work in or have tips for a painting setup in a very confined space?

I appreciate all the help,
The Nerd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-14, 03:08 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

about the paints, you could try to add a littttle bit of water to see if the solid parts can become actual paint again. if that fails I'd replace them. but thats a personal opinion about that.

about confined spaces, I personaly use a setup like this

for my painting and putting stuff together.
if you are not working on the hobby you can store your supplies in the closet (or anywhere you think is convenient) and you can simply remove the wooden board and the trestles and easely store them against a wall or under the bed or something like that.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-14, 10:25 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

When paintng in a confined space you need good light first of all and a plan, I tend to jump from unit to unit and idea to idea and start lots of things but end up with fuck all done. Make a plan on what you want to paint eg 5 marines and get them done before anything else, you'd be amazed what you can accomplish on a bedside locker with a decent light. Just keep your personal administration tight, only leave out what you need and what you are going to work on maybe even write down what you want to achieve, hope this helps.

P.s I'm a monster procrastinator took me over 2 years to start a plog so I am very aware of the irony/hypocrisy of me offering hobby advice lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-14, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

The Nerd's Flag is: England

Thanks for the help. Those are both excellent suggestions and I think I need to do some moving around and figuring out exactly how much space I can use.

I am quite lucky that during the day I get a lot of natural light and have decent lamps to use at night. I know what you mean about having a plan, I'm trying to be a lot more focused with my painting this time round. I think I could make myself a little area out of the furniture I have currently and then move on to the trestle idea when I find something suitable.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-14, 01:31 PM
Embrace the Insanity

Insanity's Flag is: Australia

A great tip for old paints. Get a small metal ball bearing and add it and a few drops of water in the the paint pot. Close it up and shake it for a good minute or so. Should be like new.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-14, 06:56 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

In years past I used a Dremmel tool with a split bamboo skewer as a mini power-mixer and water to resurrect old paints.

It could be hit or miss though. I could grind up gloppy/mostly dry paint and ie world mostly work again. There would be some residual chucks of dried paint though so it wasn't perfect. I had to keep an eye out for them, so it wasn't ideal for detail work.

Honestly, it's less work and more reliable to just but new paints.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-14, 08:25 PM

maximus2467's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah, I second this, if funds allow just buy new paints, it will save pain in the long run

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode