Paint job opinion - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

View Poll Results: Paint job opinion?
Yes 2 28.57%
No 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Gothic's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Paint job opinion

Simple thread yay or nay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (670.1 KB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 05:20 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Well if you like it you should do it! Oldmans opinion would be to do a straight quartered paint job rather than the kind of camo pattern you have on the front, I think it would look more striking, the colors are a nice combo, but if you want to stick with that I would reccommend making the pattern a bit smaller to fit more onto the bonnet of the bike. Thats my two cents

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 07:03 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

As it is, no.

It plainly isn't finished, fair enough, but you can see the brush strokes on the bonnet, which is most striking of all. Water down your paint more and do a few more layers

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Ignore the brush strokes just how it would like its finished
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 07:33 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

What the estimable torealis said about watering your paints, for sure; yellow is notoriously hard to do anyway, so don't worry if this takes a while to nail. What base colour are you using for the yellow? Averland Sunset works very well as a foundation for all the other yellow shades.

The main thing I would say is actually that the pattern itself doesn't seem consistent; the colours and the way you have them interlocking on the upper front hull suggest a dazzle pattern camo, but the rest of it doesn't really fit with that idea. So, before anything else, I'd suggest sitting down and really thinking out what this paint scheme is intended to be - is it a pattern-disrupting 'dazzle' camouflage scheme, a blending-in-with-the-environment situational camo, or (and this might just be me misreading how you have the colours demarcated on the front hull) is it more of a 'yin-yang' balanced scheme?

In either case, take the time to work out exactly how to lay the colours out across the models (and if you're using this across a whole army, on any other vehicles and individual models' armour as well so things are consistent). If it's a dazzle pattern, for example, check out how this has historically been applied to everything from aircraft to battleships:

Remember the 3 different approaches to these schemes (blending camo = you can't see it, dazzle camo = you can see it but you have no idea what shape it is or where it's going, yin/yang = we're a bunch of tofu-munching space hippies), and do some Google image searching appropriately; it's amazing what source material you can dig up with a bit of hunnting, and it can really inspire you with ideas for things. Quite apart from the obvious inspirational sources of existing military camouflage schemes and shapes, I have a bunch of folders with colours and shapes of animals, fungi, rocks, trees, all sorts of shit...it's a goldmine.

Hope this rambling helps

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 07:37 PM

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

No - the yellow and the blue don't mix with the white. If you want to keep the colours try darker and more of a violet blue and a golden yellow. Tried the combination on DOW II Ret. army painter with White Scar, Yriel Yellow and Midnight Blue(can't find it on my paint conversion chart - closest Kantor Blue maybe) The model I tried it on was a Falcon and pattern was a little different, but it looked a lot cooler in my eyes.

Edit: Now that zoomed in your pic - your yellow is ok at the points where it is thicker, but I think white is too white - dirtier white might be better.

Last edited by Drohar; 03-25-14 at 07:45 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 09:47 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like the yellow and the blue as it is. I'm assuming the white parts aren't finished?

Once the white parts have some colour on them i think it will look fine. Only thing i would change is putting a line between the yellow and blue sections to make it a little neater.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 10:04 PM

rayrod64's Flag is: USA

I feel that the white makes it look like unfinished primer.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
I like the yellow and the blue as it is. I'm assuming the white parts aren't finished?

Once the white parts have some colour on them i think it will look fine. Only thing i would change is putting a line between the yellow and blue sections to make it a little neater.

V you're right it's not finished yet I just wanted opinions on the scheme so far cos at the moment to me it don't look right.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 10:48 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic View Post
V you're right it's not finished yet I just wanted opinions on the scheme so far cos at the moment to me it don't look right.
not sure I quite understand what you're asking.

Are you asking us if we like where the blue and yellow are?

If that is your question, my answer is sure... I guess. It looks fine. Depends when you're going for. If you were going for a cameo pattern, obviously it's not great and there is excellent advice above.

If you're doing what I think you're doing and going for something flowing and organic, I think it's fine so far. The edges where blue meet red needs a bit of smoothing, and maybe a nicer curve to it, otherwise fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode